Chapter 14

He couldn't be dead. No, this couldn't be happening. His blood was all over my hands and it was flowing down my arms. I screamed loudly once I saw that his eyes were completely closed. I took off my sweater and used it to stop the blood. I added extra pressure, but nothing was helping. Where was the ambulance? I called them ten minutes ago, they should be here by now.

"Please..don't die." I whispered while tears rolled down my eyes.

At this moment, I was hopeless. There was absolutely nothing that I could do to save Jai and it was all my fault. I dragged him into all of this mess. If only I pushed him away and didn't allow him to be near me, none of this would've happened. He would be safe. He would be at home partying with all his friends. He'd be anywhere but here. A couple more minutes passed until the ambulance finally arrived.

One of the police officers tried questioning me, but I refused to answer anything. I needed to go with Jai. I had to know if he was okay. I pushed my way through and saw that they were taking him into the back of the ambulance.

"I'm sorry, but you cannot come with him." One of the guys told me.

I argued with him and tried explaining how important it was for me to go with him, but they wouldn't let me. I ran back home as fast as I could, ignoring the fact that my entire body was hurting.

"Ava, what are you doing?" Rachel asked me as soon as I entered the house. "Where were you?" She looked furious.

I paid no attention to her and quickly grabbed her car keys.

"You can't take my car!" She began screaming and she said a bunch of other things, but I slammed the door without caring about what she was saying.

I needed to see Jai.

The ambulance had already left and I stepped on the gas pedal and drove as fast as I could to the hospital. I knew I was speeding and I would probably get caught and be given a huge fine if the police saw me. It was a risk I was willing to take.

I needed to see Jai.

I didn't think about my mom or Ricky. I didn't think about how took Rachel's car without her permission. I didn't think about how I was almost killed. I didn't think about how it was a school night. I didn't think about anything but the one person who jumped in front of me and saved my life while putting his own life on the line.

I needed to see Jai.

---

"I need to see him this minute." I argued with the lady at the counter.

She shook her head. "I already told you. He's in the Emergency room therefore you cannot see him."

"Have you ever almost lost someone?" I whispered. "And you know that they're about to die and you just need to see them? I need to see him."

She sighed. "The Emergency room is across that hallway." She pointed to show me.

I thanked her and followed the instructions to the emergency room. I saw Beau, Daniel, James, and Luke standing there already. I wasn't sure who called them, but I walked up to them.

"What the hell happened to him?!" Luke yelled.

"Long story." I said.

"Fucking tell me! Tell me what happened!" He continued to scream. "I need to know.. what happened." He broke down and began crying. I felt a pang in my heart. I looked around and realized I was the reason this happened. It was because of me that Luke was crying. It was because of me that Beau was walking around in frustration. It was because of me Daniel was silently sitting in the corner. It was because of me James wouldn't move at all because of the shock.