Ch. 31 - Who's the villain

Start from the beginning

The Korean rebel dared not to ask Irene for help, but at the same time, started to resent that Irene never offered to help. They did eat together, but more and more those meals were eaten in silence.

It was Friday and Seulgi felt like making one last attempt. So she knocked on the bedroom door where the Victorian girl was current in.

"Come in," is what Seulgi could hear she said.

Seulgi opened the door and took a single step inside, "Hey, not sure if you're interested. A newer pub on the edge of town is having a group that's playing some traditional folk music. I thought it maybe something you might be interested in." The Korean-American said cautiously.

Irene who was sitting in a rocking chair in the corner looked up from one of her diaries then— "No, thank you." Said in a dismissive tone.

Seulgi wasn't quite sure exactly why, but that dismissive tone set her off. She'd been patient for weeks and even had backed off to give Irene some time to adjust. But her patience suddenly ran out.

"Why not?!" Seulgi suddenly snapped.

The Latina-American put her book down and huffed, looking a bit offended. "Well, with you yelling at me, why should I be interested in going anywhere with you?"

That little comment only seemed to dig at Seulgi's anger more, "Even when I don't yell, you don't ever want to go out. Why Not?"

Irene who had become very frustrated, got out of her chair and walked up to her. "Because this isn't my home town, this isn't my time. I don't know anyone or anything. I don't belong here."

Seulgi furrowed her eyebrows and briefly made a fist, before unclenching it. "Well, you're here, why don't you make the best of it?" As the conversation went on, the Korean rebel noticed her voice rising, and she realized she couldn't control her anger anymore.

"I KNOW I'M HERE AND I HATE IT. I HATE IT AND IT'S YOUR FAULT. MY FAMILY IS DEAD, MY FRIENDS ARE DEAD, MY HORSE IS DEAD. MY HOME IS GONE, MY TOWN IS DIFFERENT AND I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS WORLD OF COMPUTERS AND FLYING PLANES AND GLOBAL WARMING!" Irene was livid suddenly screamed, exploding herself.

"I SAVED YOU FROM THAT CREEP!" Seulgi screamed back, not the one who wanted to be let down.

"Yes, you saved me. From being married. I'd rather be married and miserable with that man than here with you. If you were telling me the truth about that." Irene sneered, her words dripping with sarcasm.

"W—what?" Seulgi stuttered, her jaw dropping.

The Victorian girl then pointed an accusing finger at her, "Yes, with your internets and computer machines you made my husband to be look guilty with your modern technology. I was to be married and you drove the poor thing mad with your vicious slander. I WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPILY MARRIED AND YOU RUINED IT. YOU RUINED MY LIFE. I HATE YOU!"

Seulgi found herself rather stunned and extremely wounded by Irene's outburst. Instead of bellowing back some insult, she lowered her head and left the room without saying another word. She then grabbed a bottle of whisky and a glass from the kitchen and went up to the roof.

Seulgi sat in a lawn chair up on the roof, got drunk and raged at the church across the street. "Why God Why? All this time, I solve one problem and boom, another one just pops up in its place over and fucking over. Now he's the fucking victim and I'm the bad guy. Okay, you won, you omnipotent bastard. I give up. I'm done playing the hero, I'll be the fucking bad guy!" With that, Seulgi hurled the bottle across the street where she heard it shatter somewhere in the darkness of the church yard. "Was breaking your heart once not enough, huh, Seulgi? Why keep doing this to yourself!"