Chapter 12

Joyce slipped in the front door, slamming it behind her. She collapsed on the couch, breaking into an endless sob. She knew she had to be strong, but she couldn't. She felt useless; she felt like her sons' lives were slipping away from her fingers, going beyond her reach.

She thought about what Nancy had said. About testing different plans around Will. She wanted to do it; it seemed like their only hope. But she couldn't bring herself to put Will in pain. Joyce then thought of a way to convince Hopper to talk to Eleven. She immediately shook her head violently, scolding herself.

It's not safe for Eleven. It's too risky. She could be killed.

Joyce rolled over; her face buried in a pillow. She felt like crying, but no tears fell from her eyes. It was as if she was too exhausted to cry anymore. She hadn't gotten any sleep in the last 48 hours; she eventually fell into a light doze.

.......................

Karen and Ted walked on both sides of Nancy, holding her up. She pulled away, aggravated.

"I can walk myself. I have two fully functioning legs, believe it or not."

"Nancy!", Karen scolded. "Do not talk to me in that tone! We are just trying to help. And when you get home you're grounded for sneaking out with Jonathan and almost getting yourself killed."

"I'm not helpless! And that's not fair! You can't do that!"

"Why not?!"

"I need to help find Jonathan! He's missing, or did you forget?"

"That's Hopper's job, not yours. You need to be safe at home."

"No! You can't do this. Hopper needs me to help him find Jonathan!"

"He's a cop, Nancy! It's his job to find missing people. He doesn't need your help."

"But you don't understand..."

"Nancy! That's enough! Stop!"

Nancy looked at her dad for help. He backed away, throwing his hands up.

"Don't look at me like that. Whatever your mother says."

She scoffed. "That's what you always say! You never have an opinion on anything! All you do is work and come home and sit on your ass and eat the chicken Mom makes you!"

Ted was silent; he was taken aback at her words. Karen stared in disbelief at Nancy, but she was secretly kind of happy that Nancy had said that. He needed to hear it.

Ted shoved past them. "Damn you women. Always bickering and fighting about nothing." He walked a few feet, then turned around again. "And Nancy, mind your manners! You need to act lady-like."

Nancy's eyes lit on fire, glaring at her dad. She ran up to his face, and shoved him.

"Don't tell me that until you become a man yourself. You're always hiding in the shadows, never having an opinion on anything, and always doing nothing. You may work and pay most of the bills, but other than that, you do nothing. Absolutely nothing."

Ted stared at her, clenching his fists. "What else is there to do other than work and pay the bills?"

Nancy laughed. "You're kidding right? For starters, there's paying attention to your kids. You never show any interest in Mike or me. You never ask how our day went, never support us on anything, and never acknowledge us! There's also keeping the house clean, making meals, washing the cars, mowing the lawn, keeping all the bills organized and making sure they are payed, and most importantly, actually loving your children! Mom asks how our day is, and does all the things for us except work a day-to-day job. So don't tell me to have better manners, and to act lady-like because you're never there for me. Ever."