Chapter 6

Jonathan looked her directly in the eyes.

"I want to go to the Hawkins lab, tonight. I need to see for myself if the gate is actually open again."

Nancy grimaced at first, but then her face softened.

"Are you sure? Shouldn't we talk to an adult like your mom or Hopper or somebody?"

Jonathan shook his head. "I don't want to get them involved in this. And I'm just going to take a peek around the lab, and then I'm coming straight back."

"Okay, sounds good. Pick me up at eleven o'clock. I can sneak out easily."

"No, Nancy, you don't understand..."

"Jonathan, I'm coming with you whether you like it or not. I will not let you go in there alone."

"It's too dangerous, Nance. I need to do this alone. If something happens..."

"No! I'm coming with you. End of story. I never let you do things like this by yourself. Or did you forget about all the times we went monster hunting?"

Jonathan sighed. "You win. I'll be at your house no later than eleven, okay?"

"Okay."

Nancy stared into the woods, thinking.

"Hey, at least it will be easy to get into the lab", she said.

"Huh?"

"You know? Since it's been abandoned ever since we teamed up with Murray and tore them down."

Jonathan laughed quietly. "That feels so long ago. It's funny how time can warp, and you don't realize how fast the seconds are passing, ticking away continuously."

"Yeah, it's a crazy thing. Things have changed a lot since then."

He nodded, not saying a word.

"You ready to go back to the car?", Nancy asked. "We need to make a stop or two."

"Are you going to tell me where?"

"You'll see."

.............................

They pulled into Steve's driveway. Jonathan parked the car and turned the engine off.

"Care to explain what we're doing here?"

Nancy smirked. "He has something we need."

"Uh.. okay?"

"I'll be right back, stay here."

She jumped out of his car, and knocked on Steve's door. There was no answer. She knocked even louder.

"Who's there? Dustin?"

"It's Nancy."

Steve opened the door; his face lit up when he saw Nancy. But then he glanced at Jonathan, sitting in the car awkwardly.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Uh... Do you still have the bat? The one with the nails on it?"

"Yeah, but why..."

"Please just give it to me! I'll give it back to you tomorrow I promise."

"Nancy", he said with his hand clutching his chest, "That bat is my child."

Nancy laughed. "Oh my god, Steve! Just please let me borrow it. It will be safe, I promise."

"Hold on a second."

He left for a minute, and he returned with the infamous bat.

"Here she is. Take good care of her."

Nancy grinned. "She's safe with us."

She grabbed the bat from him, and began making her way back to the car.

"And, Nance? Promise me that whatever you need it for, that you and Jonathan won't do anything too dangerous."

"I can't promise you that."

She waved at him, and he shut his door. She climbed into the the car, and showed Jonathan the bat.

"Remember this beaut? You're the one who created it."

Jonathan smiled at her. "Of course, how could I forget? Creating that bat is no doubt the highest achievement in my life."

Nancy burst out laughing. "Good to know."

As Jonathan backed up out of the driveway, Steve had been watching them smile and laugh at each other through his blinds.

He better realize how lucky he is to have her...

.............................

"Don't you think we should bring some other kind of weaponry?"

Jonathan pointed to the glove department. Nancy opened it, and pulled out his dad's gun.

"Is this the same one that we used?"

"Yup. Feels like Deja Vu doesn't it?"

"Sure does."

They arrived at Nancy's house. She grabbed her bag, and set the bat in the backseat.

"See you later."

She leaned over and gave him a quick kiss.

"You don't have to do this, Nance."

"Look who's the one saying that now."

He chuckled. "I'm serious, though."

"We've already been through this. I'm coming no matter what. Even if you don't pick me up, I will walk there if I have to."

"I don't doubt that for a second. But I'll be here at eleven to pick you up, so be ready."

"Counting on it, Byers."

She walked towards her house, then spun around to wave. He drove off, waving at her as he backed up. He smiled to himself, thinking about Nancy.

How did I get so lucky to have such an amazing girlfriend?

.............................

so, what are your thoughts on this book so far? any fav parts yet? mine definitely has to be the iconic spiked bat so far ;)