Chapter 6

So with his recent conversation with Verity fresh in his mind ,Ross returned to the room ,where he had left Demelza  sitting moments earlier .

By this point he was almost bursting to ask, but she seemed to be trying to avoid his gaze and busied herself ,clearing away the plates and leftovers from their meal , "this was almost certainly a sign" thought Ross "but a sign of what did she hate him or was she as besotted as Verity had said earlier and far to nervous to ask for fear she'd find he did not feel the same ".

He crossed the room to help her and realised he could no longer control his tongue , within seconds he found himself asking if Demelza had anyone special in her life "you mean a boyfriend "she replied "no , I guess with everything that's happened in the past year or so I've not really had time to think about it to be honest " , " what would you think of having one now " Ross asked " Ross Poldark , is this you asking me to go on a date with you " , " No , Demelza " Ross replied struggling to keep a straight face , inside Demelza heart sank she could feel tears pricking her eyes , Ross saw this and put his arms around her whispering " we both know this has gone far deeper than just dating already Demelza ". , she nodded in agreement " I love you, I have from that first moment I saw you and I will with every fibre of me till my last breath and beyond " , " I know Ross "she said . He smiled down at her "that's why I'm asking if we can skip the basic stuff, I mean we can do it if you want , if you feel I'm going to fast with what I'm about to say " he babbled on getting redder and redder and shaking more with every word ." Yes Ross we can skip all that and before you turn into the human tomato man yes I'll marry you " .They collapsed into each other's arms sobbing with joy and relief combined. But would everything go to plan and would everyone be so pleased for them as they were only time would tell .