Chapter 4

They had now been walking for some time and Demelza was starting to wonder what on earth this surprise was and why it took so long to get to, she turned to Ross and eventually asked again " where are we going , Ross I'm too excited to wait anymore " .That's when he stopped "We're here " he said as they turned to face a gigantic elizabethan country mansion, " Oh ross surly we can't know who lives there " she exclaimed in amazement, " I do my dear girl I do its my uncles house , I'm afraid I was born to my grandfather's second son so am there by the poor relation ." "Surely not " Demelza said trying to reassure him " oh I can assure you I am Demelza ","however despite the despute with my cousin Francis over Elizabeth, I'm prepared to forgive him and let him have her as I have found someone far more beautiful and lovingly charming than she could ever be " ,"and I want you to come with me Demelza because I ..." and he tailed off ."Ross ??"she questioned him " I'll tell you later he said hurriedly " seeing Francis leaving the house , "Francis??", "Ross !!". Francis sounded both nervous and angry " what the hell are you doing here especially after how you've acted showing me and Elizabeth uo like that " "I did not show you up cousin quite the contrary really your welcome to her anyway, I need your advice on how to win over a girl I've met . "I intend to keep her Ross and to be perfectly honest I don't care how you win over your latest conquest,if your really struggling that much speak to Verity ", Fine then I will , at least she can see who did right and who wrong " with that said Ross walked further toward the house asking the housekeeper if Verity was in ."Oh no sir I'm sorry miss Verity left an hour or so ago to go and meet a friend in town perhaps if you call her " "alright thank you Mrs Tabb " Ross then turned and left the trenwith estate and quickly as he had entered being careful not to give into his limp and keeping up the pretense to his family that he could look after himself, he took Demelza by the arm and said " I'm sorry we've had a waisted trip but my cousin will not speak to me beleving he is in the right and I the wrong " "It's alright Ross I love country walks ","It's you I worry for trying to hide that limp will not help you any at all ",she scolded him "I'm sorry, he said weakly I'm trying to impress a girl I've recently met but I don't know if she'd still have me like this" he said fighting tears " have you tried asking her "Demelza said softly with a slight hint of an idea of what he was talking about " Perhaps I will "he said but first I must speak with my cousin Verity she always knows what to do on matters of the heart " . "Call her then after luck that is I'm famished" she said in the beautiful cornish singsong voice that made Ross ' s heart melt " yes " he said to her and to himself internally thinking as he unlocked Nampara ' s front door " although now would be better because I don't know how much longer I can stop myself from kissing you " and so they entered the old ivy cald stone cottage but would he even get to call Verity before his primal instincts took over I doubt it.