Chapter Three

Jressik stood before the king's desk with his arms behind his back. Very few things made the Vasdin feel intimidated, but one of those things was making a request of his king. Especially one that was as important as the one he was about to make.

"Many summers ago," he began, "when my king's wife had only recently arrived in Vasda, you visited the soldiers' village. During lunch at my villa you said something that I have not forgotten. Up until this day I have not mentioned it because the time has not been right. By now I come to ask you to fulfill that promise. Your eldest daughter is soon to come of age, and I ask that you honor your promise by giving her to me in marriage."

The king leaned back. He was seated in the library watching the Vasdin stand before him, back straight, head held high, eyes straight ahead. The king had never thought more about the day he had promised his daughter to this man, but did not intend to deny him.

The Vasdin had stood by him during all the years of his reign, which had been many. Though he would never go so far as to call him his friend, the king knew the importance of keeping him as an ally. Marrying Valhanan to him would be a small price to pay to keep that alliance.

"She has only passed her fifteenth year," King Spyre said. "That is still young."

"Yes it is," the Vasdin agreed. "I am willing to wait as long as my king sees it necessary."

The king studied Jressik for a moment longer. "In two New Moon Festivals it will be a new summer. I promise her to you on that day."

Jressik bowed low to the king. "Thank you, my king."

The king watched him leave, leaning forward onto his elbows. It was easy to agree with him in words, but it would be another matter to convince the girl's mother. Valhanan herself would not be pleased with the idea. Her mother had put too many silly thoughts in her head about a world that she did not live in, but she was after all his daughter and would have to do as he said.

He tapped his fingers against the gold plating. Perhaps it would be best not to tell either of them until the date was closer.

༺༻

The day was bright, and the sun glinted off of the many different colored roofs of the city. Beautiful gardens, painstakingly watered and manicured, dotted the courtyards that were fenced in with stone and brick. Brightly painted stones marked paths through the brick streets, running past tailors, butchers, and the other shops of the nobles' district.

For the thousandth time Valhanan wondered what it would be like to walk those streets. Leaning on the edge of the wall she ignored the barracks below her, imagining that she was on the outer wall and staring directly into the city spread out around her. She had tried many times to get there, but had never succeeded. The only times she was allowed on the outer wall were the times she begged her mother to allow them to watch the fires being lit on the Moon Festivals.

She wasn't even supposed to be on the wall, but it was difficult for anyone to stop her from climbing one of the unguarded stairwells up to the walkway. People were too busy with their own duties to pay attention to her, even though she was the king's daughter.

With a sigh, Valhanan turned to go and found herself nearly face to face with the Vasdin. Another few steps and she would have rammed her nose right into the metal plate strapped to his chest. She took a step back as he bowed to her.

"Princess Valhanan," he said, surprise evident in his voice. "I have just come from a conference with your father, my king. I did not expect to see you here. Is it not unwise for you to be upon the wall?"

Anan suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. The formality of the people in her father's court had never made sense to her. She had no need to be formal since the only people she interacted with were her family members, and though her mother did her best to teach her proper decorum, she abandoned it as soon as she was out of her mother's earshot.