Chapter Twenty-Two

"Give that back," Anan demanded.

One of the guards behind her had caught sight of her bag beneath her cloak and had cut the strap to take it for himself. As Anan tried to grab it from him, she let go of her cloak.

Silius, seeing what happened, again tightened his grip on Bayen's reins and turned toward the merchant. "Is this how you treat other travelers who have done you no harm?"

Lasen was trying to hide a smile; it was derisive. "Just because you have done us no harm does not mean you will not."

"Would you let us on our way if we were to buy some of your wares?" Silius questioned. "I wish to buy a saddle, if you have one, and a dress."

Anan snatched for her bag, and the guard who took it caught her wrist. "Why?" he directed his question at Silius, though he was looking at Anan. "Do you wish to dress your circus performer up like a well-bred lady?"

Silius's hand went to his belt before he realized that he had not brought a sword along. Anan wrenched her hand from the guard's grip. She turned toward Silius, her face confused. "Silius--"

"Don't." He looked at Lasen, eyes hard. "May we continue on our way now? Now that you've had your fun."

"Don't begrudge us," Lasen said, his own eyes laughing. "It's been a long journey, and there are yet to be difficulties. We don't sell any saddles, but perhaps your . . . friend would like to try on a few of the dresses we have in our wagons?"

"I don't think that will be necessary. We will take a simple, small dress." Silius glanced at Anan, but she was watching her bag, dangling in the grasp of the guard. The man holding it was waiting for Lasen to tell him what to do with it.

When Silius noticed that one bag still rested at Anan's hip, he knew that the one the guard had taken was the one that she never showed him. Silius turned to see a guard break from the circle and ride back to one of the wagons.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the guard holding Anan's bag and testing its weight. After a moment, he began to lift the flap of the bag.

"No!" Anan cried. "That is mine."

The guard sneered. "It isn't, if the master don't want it to be."

"We will also take the bag back," Silius said firmly, looking at Lasen. "I don't believe that is the best way to start a deal."

Anan held her breath, turning her gaze to the merchant. Her head was spinning and her stomach was twisted into knots. All these men with weapons who poked fun in words she didn't even understand. Lasen met her gaze and held it for a long moment before a smile spread across his face.

"Of course. Mils, give the bag back to its owner."

The guard he called Mils frowned. "But, sir, it's heavy. There's got to be something--"

His superior's stare turned stony, cutting him off. After a moment he tossed the bag toward Anan. She fumbled with it for a moment before hugging it to herself tightly, relieved.

"Is it as it was before?" Lasen asked. "If anything is missing, I will make sure it is returned."

"It's alright," Anan said, her voice quiet. She barely peeked inside in fear that someone else might see what it contained and take it again. "Thank you."

Lasen gave a nod as the guard returned from the wagons with a bundle under his arm. He handed it to the merchant who shook it out and held it up for Anan and Silius to see. "Is this to your satisfaction?" he asked Silius.

The dress was blue and simple with only a little bit of gold trimming. The neckline ended in a V, and the skirt looked long enough to cover Anan's legs while she was riding. Silius studied it for a moment, trying to decide if it would fit, before he gave a nod of approval.