Chapter Twenty-Four

Anan felt as if they were back in Vasda, waiting for the blue lake to come into view on the horizon. This time, she was looking for something white; the walls that surrounded Tara, though Silius had told her that the gate was always left open. It was mid morning when Anan excitedly told Silius that she could see the walls. He smiled at her enthusiasm, but did not seem as excited as her. Anan was too busy trying to discern more of the city to notice.

They rode at a brisk jog, and it wasn't long until they reached the walls. The soldiers posted to guard the gate watched them pass through with a nod. They were dressed much like Lasen's guards, but their armor looked sturdier and better kept.

Anan watched everything with interest, wide-eyed and curious. The land directly inside the walls was empty. The cobblestone road faded to packed dirt, and children were playing some sort of game on one side of the road. Anan watched until she could no longer see it. The buildings that rose to block her view were stores; they had entered a market place.

There were stores built of wood and brick and there were stalls just like those in the markets at home in Vasda. People called out their wares while men and women alike with baskets on their arms weaved through the throng of people to buy the things that they needed. Anan could hear people advertising all different foods and wares such as cloth and firewood. The smells were all wonderful. Sights, sounds, and smells combined into a dizzying mixture that left Anan's head spinning.

They had only been riding a few strides into the marketplace when Anan heard Silius say her name. She turned in the saddle to see that he had stopped a few paces behind her. Anan turned Bayen around and rode back to him.

"What is it?" she asked, smiling.

Silius glanced at her face and then at his horse's ears flicking back and forth to hear all of the different noises, waiting for his master's instructions. He took a deep breath and then looked at her again. "This is as far as I can go with you."

Anan stared at him. "I do not understand."

He smiled sadly at her. "Yes," he said gently. "I cannot go any farther into this city; you must go to the palace on your own. You will be safe. This is not like Vasda, no one would steal from you here or try to hurt you. Simply keep riding on this road until you reach the palace. From there, it is up to you what you do."

"But you must come with me," Anan said. "Why can't you?"

"If I do, I will not leave, and I must," Silius said, his voice still gentle as he watched her expression.

"What if they don't believe me?"

"Nothing that I say or do would be able to change that, but they will believe you, I know that and you do too." He smiled, though it looked partially forced. "You will be alright."

Anan did not know what to say. All the excitement from their arrival was gone; she could not even remember why she was excited to arrive. What was Tara to her? Who even was her uncle to her?

"I can purchase a horse from the market, and you can take Vayta with you, I know he--"

Anan cut him off, hearing him fully for the first time. "No," she said, firm. "You should take him with you. I don't think that Tria is a home for him."

Silius paused then laid a hand on top of one of hers. "You will always have a home, Valhanan. Remember that." He squeezed her hand gently and smiled again, this time with more strength. "Farewell and fair weather, my friend."

Her hand felt very cold when he pulled away. It wasn't until he had turned Vayta around that she thought to say something. "Farewell," she said, but he was already too far away to hear her.