Chapter 32 - Insecurities & Agony

Start from the beginning

"In such a short notice? I'll call you in five minutes. Should I try this number?" As he spoke, I watched Silas waving an arm as a car approached. I had given up my hopes when the vehicle halted, surprising me.

"Yes. Sure." I sighed, my hand shotting up to press down on my temple, a poor attempt of soothing my headache.

Silas had sauntered towards the car already. Now he was leaning towards the window to the driver's seat, the glass rolling down.

As I hung up and pushed my fingers into my hair, I realized Silas was smiling at me. He signalled me to come. I couldn't help smiling when I strolled up to the car. Silas opened the door for me and as I climbed in, I noticed the man in the driver's seat. He was not less than at least fifty. His bald head gleamed in the light which fell through the windshield. His eyes were kind, a glowing sea green.

"Thank you," I smiled at him. "We had been standing here for God knows how long."

He had only turned when Silas reached behind his own back and took out the gun. Next five minutes happened like sone sort of time lapse. I watched as Silas's left arm went forward and jerked the man's head back, making it hard for him to breath.

"Silas!" I heard my shriek, mad with disbelief. "What are you doing?"

He pointed the gun behind his head and gritted out, "Give me the key."

The man did.

"Now get out of the car. File a report for this in the morning and you'll get it. Go!"

The man listened to him once again, leaving the car to us. Nevertheless, I only stared, impassive, my eyes turning stones. My husband didn't notice when he clambered out to slide into the driver's seat. I sat there at the back, my back hitting the leather upholstery, my hair tickling my face. I didn't have any strength to move now. It was enough.

"Dawn?" Silas's voice was distant. "Dawn?!"

"Huh?" I jumped in my seat.

"The phone. It's ringing." He frowned at me and I realized that we had been in here for at least ten minutes.

I stretched my hand out to take the phone from my lap and noticed that it was trembling.

"Dawn?" Wayne spoke quick. "I'm sorry. The jet is unavailable. But I think I can help you guys with this. Is Mr. Dale there with you?"

"Yes." My eyes flicked to the back of Silas's head. "He's driving."

"Where are you at this moment?"

"An hour or so away from Naples."

"Do you have enough time to go to Florence?"

"I guess we do," I paused. We were about to spend the night in Italy anyway. It wasn't a big deal.

"I will give you an address. Martin Roux, he's a friend of mine and he owes me."

"Wayne, is this Roux a good enough friend? Can we trust him?" I spotted Silas staring at me briefly before going back to driving.

"I like to think that he's trustworthy." His voice was doubtful.

"What does that mean?" I frowned.

"Can you give the phone to Silas?" He said, probably aware of my distress. I held the phone to his ear and closed my eyes, my left hand covering them.

"Okay." Silas nodded. "Condotta?... well, yes. What do we tell Roux?... Oh, okay. Thanks, Wayne. I owe you one."

Silas held the phone and gave it to me, quietly, offering a smile. I tried but couldn't return one. All I could think about was Silas, the gun in his hand and the terror in that man's sea green eyes.