Chapter 5

I couldn't believe it. Less than 24 hours ago, I was sitting in my bed reading about imaginary worlds and dreaming of one day performing amazing magical acts. Acts like I had just performed.

I couldn't have been happier.

Excitedly, I lifted the flower to his face. "Do you see this? I did it!" I exclaimed happily.

He chuckled. "That's just the beginning of what you can do. After your training at the castle, you'll be able to grow forests without blinking."

My eyebrow furrowed. "But how? I'm just a human," I reminded him sadly.

He shook his head. "You're a halfblood."

"A halfblood?"

"Yeah," he snatched the fruit from me, and with a smirk, he took a bite. "Someone with magic has a child with a human. The result is a halfblood. Usually halfbloods are stronger than the magic parents."

I made a face. "How?" I couldn't imagine anything mixed with a human being stronger. I certainly didn't feel any stronger than Marcus.

"Humans are stronger than most people give them credit for. Even without magic, they've managed to do incredible things. They've managed to survive millennium with nothing but their brains. They're resilient, and problem-solvers. Since they can't use magic, they've adapted, evolved, become physically stronger, smarter than most people with magic. When you pair those reflexes and critical thinking with magic, it makes a nearly unstoppable being. They're—you're more powerful than most people know."

Me, powerful? I almost couldn't even believe it. My whole life I've been so average. Maybe that was why I loved reading about powerful characters and magical worlds. I subconsciously knew that I was meant for more exciting things.

He leaned in a little closer. "That's why you're going to save our realm. Because you're more powerful than the forces trying to destroy us." After glancing at my expression, his voice dropped. "What's wrong?"

I shrugged. "I just still can't believe that I'm the one that's supposed to save everyone. I'm not special."

"Of course you are!"

"Marcus, I just don't understand how that can be. My whole life, I've been painfully average—"

He cut me off. "You're anything but average. You just grew a magical flower your first try."

While what he said had reassured me a little, my years of self-doubt, wishing to be better, and my insecurities were hard to get rid of.

"But I can't save you all. I've never even—"

When he reached out and grabbed my hand, I stopped talking. Slowly, he took the flower from my hand. Never breaking eye contact, he brushed back my hair and slid the flower into my hair.

He leaned a little closer. Maybe it was the magic apples I ate, but I swear I could feel everything going on around me. I could smell his sweet breath tickling my skin, our heartbeats beating in unison, the trees whispering around us in the wind.

"You're going to save us all," he whispered so low I could barely hear him.

When he pressed his lips to mine, everything else seemed to disappear. All I could feel was the tingling of his lips touching mine.

It was my first kiss, and it was everything I had dreamed it to be. It was magical, literally.

All too soon, he pulled back. Hurt and confused, my cheeks burning brighter than the fire, I asked him, "What's wrong?"