Chapter 24

John’s POV

I was requested to go with the guards to find Rose. I was the only one who knew where in the woods we had our little confrontation, and from there we would be able to track her scent.

Before we left, Jen walked into my chambers. “I’m sorry, John. You shouldn’t have had to take the punishment.”

I shrugged, turning to her. “It’s okay. Thanks for helping me up afterwards.”

She nodded. “Of course. It’s the least I could do.” She sat on my bed, looking around. “I think it would be too dangerous for Rose to come here.”

“We don’t really have a say in that.”

She sighed, sounding both tired and frustrated. “I know, and I’m tired of it!”

I stepped forward, kneeling in front of her. “Jen, you need to calm down. If you go around saying things like that, I won’t be able to protect you again.”

She dropped her gaze. There were a few minutes of silence before she spoke. “Don’t you ever get tired of this, John? I can’t name 5 times that I’ve seen you frustrated or angry.”

I stood up again, and she got up with me. “Of course I don’t like it, Jen. But there’s nothing we can do about it. Father hates uprisings, and if we did anything that signaled even the slightest bit of defiance, he would silence us without a second thought.”

She shook her head angrily, and her eyes turned red. Another nymph trait. “Then we should leave! King Jonathan wouldn’t care in the slightest if we left.”

I put my hands on her shoulders, looking her square in the eye. “Jen, stop talking about him like that. He’s your father, too.”

She snorted, moving away from my touch. “Please. He disowned me the moment he learned I wasn’t the proper princess he was hoping for. I’m just lucky he didn’t kill me when I was younger.”

I was about to answer when Kendrick called my name from the hall. I turned to the door, but before I left, I looked back to her. “Don’t do anything stupid while I’m gone, okay?”

She rolled her eyes, beckoning me to leave.

Luke’s POV

We walked down the hall to my father’s study, my arm around Rose’s shoulders while she had hers around my waist. She was absentmindedly biting the nails on her free hand. I rubbed her shoulder, making her look up at me. “Calm down, Rose. It’s alright. He’s calmed down since last night, but let’s not start the conversation by telling him about the mating, okay?”

I grabbed her hand as she nodded, smiling. “I’ll try my best.” she said sarcastically as I opened the door. I laughed, making my father look up from his desk.

“Ah, Luke. It’s about time you came.” He smiled at us pleasantly, glancing down at our hands for a second. His eyes met Rose’s, and he smiled again. “How was your stay last night? I understand you stayed in Luke’s room?” He looked to me with a sly smile. He raised an eyebrow, making me smile.

When I didn’t say anything, he laughed. “You don’t have to hide the mark from me. I can already smell your scent on her.” I looked down to see Rose blushing like crazy. It was extremely cute.

Father laughed again. “Also, that look just gave it away.”

Rose smiled, looking up at me. I stepped behind her, wrapping my arms around her. “What is that you wanted, Father?”

He looked down to Rose before he answered. “Actually, I wanted to speak to your mate. Alone.” he added, looking up at me again. I nodded hesitantly, removing my arms from her. She sent me a panicked look, one that didn’t escape my father’s notice.

I grabbed her hand and, kissing it softly, I whispered, “It’s alright. He won’t do anything. I’ll just be in the kitchen, okay?”

She nodded silently, and I walked out. But after I closed the door, I was cornered by Caleb and Clark, Clark being my older brother. He was the tallest in our family, standing at 6’8. I know, it’s freaky how tall we were. It’s one of the greatest things about being a werewolf, and since we all had Alpha’s blood in us, we had the most dominant genes.

Anyway, Clark stood to my left while Caleb was on my right. They exchanged looks, and Caleb turned back to me. “So, did you do ‘it’?”

Keeping my face emotionless, I leaned against the wall. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Clark turned to me now, looking very impatient. “Come on, Luke. Did you screw her?”

I could feel my face heating up at his words. “Well, I…”

Clark cut me off, smiling at Caleb. “He did.”

I coughed, extremely uncomfortable. “Why does it matter?”

Clark laughed, leaning against the wall next to me. “Well, if you didn’t I think I would have tried.” He wiggled his eyebrows, and I couldn’t hold back the growl that rippled through my body.

Clark held up his hands, smiling. “Sorry, I couldn’t resist. You always overreact.”

I was going to reply, when I saw Caleb’s face. His eyes met mine, and panic quickly spread through me when I saw the fear in them. His next words had me running into my father’s study. “The vampires are on their way here. Now.”