"Do you hear me now?" She asked, drawing her two ears. "Listen, if I ever hear that she came around your place, I will personally call her, and I am very sure you know what that means" Grandma commanded, standing up to adjust her wrapper.

Mum was crying again.

I was very young but I knew what she was passing through. I live with her daily and I know the pain in her heart, no one else can understand that, not even her own mum.

"She's my only friend mum, they've chased others away, she's the only one remaining, I have no other" Mum said in a heart wrenching tone.

Grandma laughed.

"What do you need friends for? Eh? Especially those useless single girls that can't even convince a man to marry them? Answer me!" Grandma exploded. "See my daughter, having a husband should be enough for you! Many women will kill to be in your shoes. Having a man who plays his role diligently, providing for you, your children and even for us his in-laws. A very handsome man for that matter. See nwa m (my child), don't even be too sure of those your friends because they might have ulterior motive. Ha nwere ike i nara gi di gi!! (They might even snatch your husband from you!) Make your husband your friend and confidant. Sarah in the bible called her husband Abraham 'My Lord and Master', follow her footsteps. If you need friends so seriously, then join the choir, bible movement, sanctuary league, CWO and every other group in the church. My dear, they will serve you better than these your worldly friends, inugo (have you heard)? I'm done talking. I am your mother and I can never deceive you. A mother can never deceive her daughter. Wisdom is profitable to direct. Don't pull down your house with your own hands. Please my daughter listen to me" Grandma said, walking out of the room and into the kitchen.

I came in and gave mum a warm hug. She smiled bitterly.

"Why are you always eavesdropping on people's conversation? It isn't right Ada m" Mum cautioned.

"Sorry mum but I don't eavesdrop on other people's conversation except yours" I boldly replied.

"And does that make it right? Does it make any difference?"

"Yes mum! You are my mother and I understand you more than everybody, even your mum. No one understands you more than I do! I eavesdrop to understand you more. You know you manage to speak a little when you are with someone else but at home you just nod in agreement to everything just for peace to reign." I replied. In a teary response, mum hugged me very hard that I felt a sharp pain in my back bone. I smiled instantly for I believed she just transferred some of her inner pain to me. I was willing to carry her cross if only she could let me. I wish I would see her happy one day again, just one day.

We spent two days in my maternal home before dad came to pick us up. While loading our things into the car, I spotted dad and grandma having a deep conversation. Grandma was occasionally brightening her face while dad struggled to fake his. Done, we bade them farewell and left.

The journey was very quiet and boring unlike our usual routine where we played game and sing till we get home. Mum tried severally to start a conversation but dad remained monotonous in his response. At a point mum kept mute even though I could still see her stealing glances at dad. Her eyes depicted fear, pain and love starved. I guess she couldn't hold it anymore so she blurted out:

"Honey is everything okay?"

"Yes" Dad replied coldly.

"You don't sound like it" Mum insisted.

"I said everything is fine" Dad replied, swerving off the road while trying to avoid a careless truck driver. He swerves back into his lane and without words, winds down the car glass, cursing the driver with all his might.