Chapter 40: Foiled Plots

Start from the beginning

Harry sighed again, his eyelids already too heavy to stay open, and finished the potion as instructed.

"Thank you," Hermione said softly, helping to guide his head onto the pillow. He was asleep before it got there. Hermione chuckled and wore a lopsided smile as she surveyed him. As solid as he held himself when he was awake, he was still as peaceful and vulnerable as a child when he slept.

Harry's feet hung off the bed and Hermione shook her head to see that he was still wearing his shoes. He'd stopped wearing pajamas altogether and only took his shoes off for showers and the few short hours that he slept. All other times, he had his shoes on and was properly dressed to leave in case of an emergency. He was intense, so intense, and it hurt her to see him like that.

Hermione knelt on the floor beside him, slipped his worn trainers off, and tucked his feet into bed. After pulling the blanket up to his shoulders, she removed his glasses and set them on the bedside table. Life wasn't fair for anyone, but sometimes it seemed considerably more unkind to him… or maybe it was just Harry that pushed himself too hard. Whatever it was, she had always felt the need to protect him. She ran her fingers through his hair and snorted in amusement when it stayed that way.

After putting out the lamp, she made her way to the door and whispered before leaving, "Rest well, Harry."

"So?" Ginny asked as Hermione made her way down the stairs into the front hall. "Is he coming down?"

"No, actually he's going to sleep for a little while," Hermione answered.

"You're joking," Ginny said, searching Hermione's expression for any sign that she might be.

"No," she smiled. "I finally managed to get him to take that sleep draught. He should be out for a few hours."

"Now I know you're joking." Despite her words, Ginny saw that Hermione was telling the truth, but the very thought of it was incredible. "I've been trying for days to get him to take it."

"I know. He finally folded, but only with the promise that I would wake him if we needed him."

"Thanks," Ginny uttered quietly, averting her eyes.

"No, Ginny. I know what you're thinking. Don't. You know it's not like that," Hermione said, moving to stand in front her.

"I can't help it," she said miserably. "I just don't understand why he can't trust me the way he trusts you. I told him the same thing."

"He does trust you."

"Not like you."

"It's not about trust. He just treats us differently because we are different. Our relationships with him are different. He loves you so deeply, Ginny. He's dedicated himself to you, loves you, in ways that no other living soul will ever see. I'm his friend, maybe something like a sister; nothing more," Hermione explained in earnest.

"If he trusts me then why won't he listen to me? Why won't he let me help him?"

"Because it's not in his nature to accept help from others. He's stubborn."

"I'm stubborn," Ginny vehemently proclaimed.

"Yes, I know. And he loves that about you," Hermione said with a small smile. "In your relationship, Harry nearly always submits to you, and I don't mean that in a bad way. You're not domineering. He is just easygoing and perfectly content in following where you lead. When things get serious though, he won't back down. He feels he needs to protect you, to be strong for you. With me, it's just the opposite. I follow Harry's lead in our relationship, even if it's grudgingly at times," Hermione continued to explain.