Chapter 39: Another Boarder

Start from the beginning

All the room's attention settled upon Draco as he stepped into the kitchen. There was something about his mien that exuded power and strength. It stunned Hermione speechless as she stared at him. There was something in the way that he held himself - his jaw firm, his eyes hard, his shoulders back, and hands balled at his sides - that made her feel like she was looking at Harry. She'd always known that he had a strong presence, but it only hit her then what a natural born leader he was. For a split second, the world faded away and was replaced with the image of the Draco from the pensieve. She saw the man that, upon Harry's death, took charge and convinced the others to keep fighting. She didn't know when the change had occurred, but Draco had burgeoned into a man of great maturity, determination, and courage. She knew that he had the potential to become that man, but it surprised her that the change had happened only over the last few weeks. Gone was the boy once considered Harry Potter's opposite; Draco had become his equal.

"He's gone to the Parkinson Estate to let her father know where she is and to reset the ward," Draco told Hermione.

"She's staying here then?" Hermione asked.

Draco nodded in silent affirmation.

"I am?" Pansy asked anxiously.

"For the time being, yes," he answered. "You wanted to know what's going on, so you're full in now. With Harry's blessing, you get everything. No more secrets."

Hermione blinked in surprise, her mouth agape, not missing that he called Harry by his given name, as the rest of the group nodded in understanding.

"There's another bed in my room," Ginny offered. "It's hers if she'd like."

"Thank you," Draco replied. "But, that comes later. Explanations first. Let's go fill you in."

Pansy apprehensively agreed and Draco began to escort her toward the kitchen stairs. Hermione understood by a simple glance from him that she was invited to join them. Before Draco started up the staircase, he turned back to the room. "Blaise, Ginny, and, erm… Ron, maybe it'd be good for you to join us, too."

It felt as strange to Ron to hear his name as it was for Draco to say it, but neither acted like it was anything out of the ordinary. Ron stood with the others and made to follow without a second thought. He felt rather honored to be called into the discussion group.

"Should I send the elves up with dinner?" Molly asked. She tried to take Aurelian's hand to prevent him from following the others, but he skillfully slipped passed her.

"Yes, thank you," Draco answered, taking Aurelian's hand in his own. Lifting the boy into his arms, he led the way to the sitting room.

"Pansy... Pansy? … Pansy!" Draco's voice started soft and tentative, but rose in volume and insistency.

"Hm?" Pansy asked, pulling out of her deeply pensive state.

"I asked if you were alright," Blaise repeated with concern. "I mean, I know this has got to be a lot to take in."

The moment the group had taken their seats in the sitting room, the explanations began. With all they needed to cover, their talk had gone on for nearly two hours.

"It is, but I don't think it affects me like you think," Pansy answered, still a little lost in her thoughts. "I mean, I knew things had to be bad. Potter wouldn't ask for your help unless it were," she said to Draco. "And I don't think either of you are in the habit of confining entire families to their homes without just cause. I saw yesterday that you were dealing with death eaters. I even thought I had seen her name but… I don't know. With the way you have talked about her in the past, I guess it's not a huge surprise to me that she would go to some measure to keep herself from dying completely. I'm not saying that it's not terrifying, but I've been terrified since I was first told I couldn't leave my house. The thing… The thing I find most hard to believe is him." Pansy nodded toward the boy playing beside Ron's chair. "A boy from the future… Your boy, no less… It's just… incredible."