⌁Years Turn into Seconds⌁

As soon as the bus stop a few blocks from the party, I am on my feet, sprinting in my three-inch black heels towards the comfort of my best friend. I just hope she isn't too drunk to listen to my awful night. What I want more than anything at the moment is to cry my eyes out and drown my sorrow in a tub of fluffy, buttery movie popcorn. Maybe Caroline won't mind going home. It is late, and we can always watch the ball drop from the quiet luxury of my living room. And I can really go for some hot chocolate right now... As I run towards the rooftop party, I distract myself with anything I can think.

I finally make it to the high rise and ride the elevator up to the top floor, resting against the wall to give my shaky, exhausted legs a little break. Where are you Caroline? I mentally yell as I search the crowd for my best friend, the one who didn't rip my heart out. As if all of Heaven above is working in my favor, I spot her almost instantly standing in the corner of the room, with her arms crossed, peering at out the crowd of drunk, dancing teenager.

My legs miraculously carry themselves over in her direction, and I struggle not to plop down on the floor in front of her. "Caroline, I'm so sorry," I croak out as tears continue to stream down my face. I'm sure I look like a monster with smudged eyeliner running down my face, dried ice cream permanently stuck in my hair, and remnants of powdered sugar and chocolate syrup stuck to my clothes.

With one look, she gently picks me up, and helps carry me out to the car, without asking a single question. She buckles me into the passenger seat, and makes her way over to Driver's seat. As she starts the ignition, I ask, concern edged in my voice, "Haven't you been drinking? I saw a beer in your hand earlier."

She laughs quietly and rubs my back comfortingly. "That was just one of the fancy sparkling waters. I promise." Without pressing her further, I lean my head against the headrest, and we drive away, leaving the city behind and driving towards the suburbs of Charlotte.

What seems like forever, when in reality is probably only thirty minutes, we are pulling into my driveway. As soon as I step into my home, I pull my heels off and toss them on the ground, heading straight for the shower. I lather a large amount of shampoo in my hands and scrub it through my hair, working every bit of ice cream I can out of my hair and trying to erase every memory from this night with it down the drain.

By the time I dry off and slip into some soft, baggy sweats, it's 12:15 am. There goes my grand idea of watching the ball drop. The smell of popcorn wafts up to my bedroom, and I trudge down towards the scent coming from the kitchen. The sight that greet me almost makes me cry tears of joy right then and there. She has two tubs off butter microwave popcorn and two glasses of sparkling grape juice set out on the counter. "Caroline you didn't have..." I trail off as Conner walks out from behind a small alcove in the wall. "What are you doing here?" I instantly whip around and walk towards the living room, plopping on the couch in anger.

Caroline walks in behind me, followed by Conner. "Alice, Conner told me everything while you were in the shower... I think you need to give him a chance to explain himself..." I open my mouth to retort, but she cuts me off mid-sentence. "Do this one thing, for me." She walks out of the room, leaving Conner standing awkwardly and me fuming on the couch.

"Alice," He starts. I don't respond. "Please look at me?" No response. "Please..." he whispers.

"Why? So you can humiliate me again?!" I snap angrily. He stares at me intensely and walks over to the couch, agitation in each step. Without warning, he pushes his lips against mine, but with more fervor and heat behind it this time. As hard as I fight to resist his kiss, I lose the battle and give into his touch, my lips moving against his, fighting for dominance.

He pulls away, leaving me panting and wanting more. "What the heck?"

"I like you." He plants a kiss on my forehead, causing warmth to spread its way across my face. "And you aren't just a game to me." He brushes another kiss across my left cheek. "I was just happy because I just kissed the girl of dreams. I've been wanting to do that since we were kids..." He bit his bottom and brushed them against my right cheek. "So, if you hate me, I completely understand. But just know that I like you, Alice Scott, and you are not a game to me." This time, he plants a tender kiss on my lips but pulls away quickly to look into me eyes. "So, what do you say... Be my girlfriend?"

"You live in Texas..."

"I'm moving back home next week..."

"Yeah, I know. But I don't think this long distance thing will work!"

He chuckles and holds my face in his warm, soft hands. "I'm moving back here!"

I grumble and punch him in the shoulder. "Conner, why didn't you just say that?!"

"Sorry?" He grins sheepishly.

Instead of answering, I grab him and force my lips onto his, sparking an immediate reaction from him, as his arms wrap around my waist to steady me. He kisses me like there was no yesterday, no today, and no tomorrow. I'm not sure how long we stayed their relishing in the feeling of our lips brushing against each other's, but I am okay if it is for eternity, because when I'm with Conner, years turn into seconds, and all those hours and minutes in between don't seem so scary and important anymore.

⃟ ⃟ ⃟ ⃟

It's 2018!! You did it! You have finally arrived to the last chapter of New Year's Eve! Happy New Year!

Thanks for reading, and I hoped you enjoyed this little short story!!

Bye guys and happy holidays!!

-Lizzy West :)