"Maybe they're not the best girls in the world, but neither am I. Obviously." I wiggled my glove-clad fingers, a crooked smile spread across my lips. "We're all a little stupid sometimes, right? The important thing is that we're paying for those mistakes we made and we learn from them."

I watched as my mom's lips pressed into a thin line before she pulled me in tight for another hug. "Look at you, you sound like a little grown up!"

I frowned against her shoulder. "I'm seventeen."

"You'll always be my little baby."

"I do mean it, though," I squirmed in her embrace until I could look up at her. "They're nice. And in a place like this, that's saying something."

"If you say they're okay then I guess I have no choice but to trust you. But if they so much as touch a hair on your head, I'm coming back and I'm laying down some Mama Smack-Down, got it?"

I laughed, wrapping my arms tighter around her. "Deal."

"Now, I was promised a free dinner during this thing and I'm starving."

"Right this way."

Together we made our way to the cafeteria line and grabbed our dinners. Mom opted for a plate of meatloaf and mashed potatoes while I swiped some more Italian goodness for myself. The scent of meat and tomato sauce filled my nose as we made our way to a couple of vacant seats. Once there I immediately tore open a couple of packets of Parmesan cheese and poured the white powder all over my noodles.

"So, how's the new job and all that civilian stuff?"

"It's going good, actually. I got a job at the hospital downtown, everyone's been really nice so far about the whole..." she trailed off suddenly, as though she were afraid I'd be offended had she finished her sentence.

"The whole your daughter attending a prison-school," I finished for her.

"Christine-"

"It's okay, Mom. You can say it. Reform school. We need to get used to it."

She stared down at her plate of untouched food and nodded. "Yeah."

"So, come on," I urged. "Tell me everything. Did you meet any cute guys yet?"

"Christine!" Mom exclaimed, catching the attention of a few families nearby but blushed all the same.

I laughed as I watched her struggle to contain her embarrassment but pretty soon she was laughing too. Good. Mom deserved to laugh every now and again after what Dad did.

Once she had relaxed and regained her composer, she raised a hand and worked to smooth down her mane of curls. "No," she giggled. "No cute guys yet."

"Well, that's okay. You've got plenty of time and a place all to yourself."

"Speaking of," she began quickly and I could hear the hint of excitement in her voice as she spoke. "I got a place for us."

"Already?"

She nodded. "It's a beautiful two-story brick house, cream-colored walls, and hardwood floors and a real kitchen! Not like the tiny hole in the wall like in the apartment. Upstairs is all plush carpet, three bedrooms, two baths."

"Can we afford that?"

"With the money I got from the divorce, you bet your ass we can." Mom was grinning like a child, practically bouncing in her seat.

"But three bedrooms? Do we really need all that space with just us?"

"If we ever get a pet it can have its own room for all I care. The point is, it's all ours. We finally have a real home!"