Chapter 9

Kira's POV

I sat down at a table, the others with me, and sighed. This was all Tyler's idea. We were all supposed to catch up and get along so emotions didn't interfere with the investigation.

"First off," I began, fighting for the strength to fight my tears, "Ryuu, how did you survive? You were dead." I barely choked out, "You died in my arms."

Ryuu blinked. "I-I don't know. Your... Your dad, Stein... He did something... He never told me what he did. I can't answer that." He stuttered. "Why did you leave?" He countered, and I flinched.

"The Madness." I said, unwilling to continue. "What about it?" Soul growled. "Stein fought Madness for two years, hoping you would come back! Don't bullshit me!" He shouted. My skin crawled with anger, and it took Arika's words of comfort to calm me.

I took a breath. "I didn't understand, at first, what was going on. Not until I saw the three eyes." I explained. "As soon as I saw them, crawling around the edge of my vision, I knew I'd screwed up. I knew I'd put you all in danger. Justin was already infected, and, with a fear-filled heart, I fell behind whoever would lead.

"That just so happened to be Justin. And he didn't -- couldn't stay at the Academy in such a condition. I was injured, and Asura's soul healed me. I left because I was aware of a dangerous power dwelling inside me, and I knew I'd probably kill everyone I loved."

Black Star huffed. "Thanks for being so generous," He said sarcastically. Tears stung the back of my eyes.

I stood abruptly. "You know what? I'm sure I don't need a bunch of arrogant, bull-headed, whiny male brats to slow me down in the investigation. I don't need a backup team, so all of this is a waste of time!" I shouted. "I'll explain everything to Tyler so none of you have to have anything to do with me." I said, biting back tears.

Before anyone could change my mind, I turned my back on them and walked down the corridor.

I had a few minutes of silence, a few minutes of cold tears on my face, before I heard someone calling my name. "Kira! Wait! Please, Kira!" I stopped and turned around, just in time to see Ryuu trip. I gasped and teleported in front of him, and caught him just before he hit the ground.

Ryuu looked up at me as I blinked away my tears. "I'm so sorry, Kira! I didn't mean to start anything! It's just I wanted to know why you left us!" He said, trying to explain his innocence. I smiled softly and hugged him. He sighed and hugged me back.

I heard the footsteps of the others and jumped up, carrying Ryuu with me, and stood. The entire group stopped to watch us. I looked at Death, Soul, and Black Star, then down at Ryuu. How was I supposed to choose one of them? Right now, I couldn't stand any of them.

Ryuu took a step away from me, as if he didn't want to be seen around me with his friends behind him. Arika gasped, seeing everything through my eyes. "Kira, I know what you're thinking--!"

I threw my hands, palms down, to my sides and shouted, "Crystal Stasis," and watched as my vision blurred. I was in a crystal stasis now, and I wouldn't be returning until I felt emotionally, mentally, and physically able. I did send Arika out, however, right before the stasis was completed.

****

Arika's POV

I grunted in surprise when I landed on my feet in front of Kira's crystallized form. "What the hell, Kira! I don't want to be with these pricks either!" I shouted, knowing very well that she could hear me through our mind link.

"I couldn't just go into stasis without sending someone to investigate." Kira replied calmly. "I knew only one person who would be able to see, think, and act exactly as I do. You, Arika. Please, just give me time, and I'll return."