The Conversation

He thought back to the meeting which had taken place a mere three days earlier. The Secretary of Education had summoned him to the ministry with a promise of lunch and fine wine. The Professor had been surprised by the invitation, but could think of no good reason to turn it down. Funding for his department was always an issue and he didn't want to antagonise an up-and-coming politician who could either be a powerful ally or a dangerous threat.

The Secretary had entertained Andobos on his private balcony in the Republican Palace. It had been a light lunch of traditional Sirian estalade, a dish of which he was particularly fond, and one or two glasses of Elbarian Chardonnay were consumed before the main purpose of the meeting was broached.

"You may be wondering why I invited you to see me," the Secretary of Education had begun, leaning back in his chair in as he relaxed in the pleasant summer sun.

The Professor had indeed been wondering, but was not in any hurry to find out.

"Whatever the reason, it has been a real privilege, Mr Secretary," he had responded, trying to make his host feel appreciated.

The Secretary nodded, with a gracious smile. "Well Professor, I have an opportunity for you, and I hope you will be keen to accept."

"This sounds interesting," he replied leaning forward. Was he going to be offered a new position? Perhaps an advisory role for the government?

"As I'm sure you're aware, the treaty of Centauri Four is due to be signed in a few days time. This is obviously a significant moment for the Colonial Federation and it will bring about a number of really significant changes. There will be a new currency, a single congress and our armed forces will effectively come together under one command structure."

Androbos had nodded, although his knowledge of interplanetary politics was a little vague. As an archaeologist, he tended to lose interest in anything that had happened since the rise of the Greater Martian Empire...  

"Anyway," the Secretary continued. "An opportunity has arisen for a bit of field work that I thought you might be interested in. The only problem is that it's on a planet in the Rymerian Republic."

The professor shrugged at this comment. His knowledge of politics was being stretched a bit.

The Secretary sighed slightly. "The Rymerian Republic has a mutual defence treaty with our government here on Sirius, but that will lapse when we formally join the Federation. They... let me put this tactfully... don't quite qualify for membership themselves. They still practice capital punishment - amongst other things..." 

"Oh yes, I remember," Androbos exclaimed. "Aren't they the people who keep killing off members of their old royal family?"

The Secretary of Education nodded with a certain degree of solemnity. "Well, they did have rather a lot of them... Anyway, until the Rymerians have stopped executing aristocrats, the Federation will not be happy to enter into any kind of military alliance with them."

The professor didn't like to comment on the fact that this hadn't been a problem in the past, but the thought did occur to him.

"Anyway..." the secretary continued. “There has just been a significant discovery on a planet which is currently part of the Rymerian Republic. It is probably the most exciting archaeological find of our generation, and we would like you to take a look."

"Okay, I'm sure we can put something together. We'll need to put a team together and make some plans. I think I've got some free time coming up. I'm assuming there's some funding for this?"

"Well, yes, we are happy to pay for the dig, but there is just one tiny problem..."

"Which is?"

"The ownership of the planet is in dispute. At the moment it's in the Rymerian Republic, but the Trucanni League has always considered it to be part of their territory. While the Rymerians were our allies, they have kept their distance, but once we join the Federation..."

"Let me guess. The Trucanni will politely ask for their planet back?"

The Secretary shook his head. "The Trucanni are not known for their ability to ask politely. I have been informed that they are already preparing a fleet and will invade the second the treaty has been signed."

Professor Androbos shook his head in perplexity. "So you are basically saying that I have a week to get to this planet, carry out a major dig, and then get out before a war breaks out?"

The politician nodded. "That's about the size of it, yes."

"Why on seven planets would I be stupid enough to agree to this?"

The Secretary of Education looked him squarely in the eyes and said simply, "Because the planet I want you to visit is Dorian's World."

This was the point at which Androbos was hooked. "How could I say 'no' to that?" he said simply. "When do we leave?"