Take A Breath And Let The Rest Come Easy

Zack's P.O.V.

--

After Alex and I finished unpacking and putting everything the way he likes it (he's so OCD about his room), we exited his new bedroom and sat in the living room with Jack and Rian. As Jack, Rian, and I started talking about the band name, I thought I'd bring up that we still needed a singer and lyricist; and Alex is the perfect fit. But we have to give everyone who already signed up a chance first. That's actually happening today, and it's going to be here.

Our friend Matt is coming over to help us pick someone out. It starts in like 30 minutes, so I have plenty of time to bring this up.

"Hey Alex," I said, smirking. "You sing, write, and play guitar, why don't you audition today, too?" Alex's eyes widened, but when he saw my smirk, he calmed a bit.

"Uh, sure." he said. Yes! 

"You sing?" Jack asked Alex, as he just nodded.

"Could we hea--"

"I think it'd be best if you waited to hear Alex's voice for auditions," I interrupted. "Trust me, it'd be worth the wait. Alex, are you going to cover something or play an original?"

"Original," he said simply. Just the answer I wanted to hear. "When is this audition?"

"Well," I replied. "You're the last on a list of 110 ladies and gentleman, so you have enough time to pick the song out and practice a little bit. Our first candidate starts at 1:30."

"Oh, well, okay. I think I know what song I'm going to do, I practice it a lot, so I don't really need to." he said.

--

Alex's P.O.V.

--

Those 30 minutes had passed quickly as we all shared some laughs about our childhood or things we like. Matt got here about 15 minutes ago, and he was the one to hold the clipboard, calling everyone's names.

The first person walked in, and she was a pretty young lady.

"Hi," she said shyly.

"Hello, what's your name?" Rian asked. 

"Hayley," she replied. 

"Alright Hayley, my name is Rian, that's Jack, Zack, and my roommate, Alex. We're going to ask a couple of questions before we'll ask you to sing for us. Does that sound good?" Hayley nodded and sat down.

"Okay," Jack said. "Do you write your own lyrics?"

"Yes," she replied.

"How old are you?"

"25."

"Do you play the guitar?"

"No, I don't."

"Okay, thanks for answering these questions, Hayley," Zack said. "What will you sing for us today?"

She thought about it for a moment, and then her face brightened up. "An original," she replied. "It's called Playing God." We all nodded and asked her to start when she's ready. 15 seconds later, she was slaying the song. I mean, her lyrics? Amazing. Her voice? PHENOMENAL. I wouldn't be surprised if they picked her instead of me.

-

108 people later, it was my turn to wow Jack and Rian. They already knew my name, if I wrote lyrics and played the guitar, so they didn't ask. I got up and grabbed my guitar, taking it out of the case and sitting on the stool.

"This is an original called Painting Flowers." I replied, starting the chords.

Then, I just let the music take it in, I closed my eyes and began singing.

"Strange maze, what is this place?

(I hear voices over my shoulder)

Nothing's making sense at all

Wonder, why do we race?

(When everyday we're running in circles)

Such a funny way to fall,"

I didn't lie about practicing this one a lot, it's one of my favorite songs that I've written.

"I tried to open up my eyes,

I'm hopin' for a chance to make it alright

When I wake up,

The dream isn't done

I wanna see your face and know I made it home

If nothing is true, what more can I do?

I am still painting flowers for you, woah

Show my cards, give you my heart

(I wish we could start all over)

Nothing's making sense at all

Tried to open up my eyes,

I'm hopin' for a chance to make it alright

When I wake up,

The dream isn't done

I wanna see your face and know I made it home

If nothing is true, what more can I do?

I am still painting flowers for you,

I heard everything you said,

I don't wanna lose my head

When I wake up,

The dream isn't done

I wanna see your face and know I made it home

If nothing is true, what more can I do?

I am still painting flowers for you,

I am still painting flowers for you..."

And as I opened up my eyes, I saw everyone in the room giving me a standing ovation, even Matt. I felt like he was the silent Simon Cowell today, if that makes any sense.

They didn't even need to talk it over, about me being the singer.

"Alex," Rian said. "Your lyrics are amazing, your voice is absolutely phenomenal, and you play guitar well. How'd you like to be All Time Low's frontman?" I felt myself being genuinely happy for the first time in a while. I nodded.

"I'd love to!" I replied. And this is the start of a new life, new home, new friends, and possible boyfriend. My life is finally going well. I guess it does get better.