Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Gone

Hayden's P.O.V*

I couldn't believe the bad news I just got. Drake and I may not be on good terms right now, but that doesn't mean I wanted anything bad to happen to him.

"I'm on my way." I said before hanging up.

"What's going on Hayden?" Ashton asked me. I ignored him and grabbed Brandon. I walked out the door and to my car.

In minutes I was parked in the hospital parking lot and I rushed in with Brandon. I went up to the receptionist and asked for Drake Burton.

"He's in room 343." The woman told me.

I rushed to the room. Hopefully I'm not too late. I burst into the room and found Drake in the hospital bed. His eyes were closed and he was bandaged around his chest and his shoulder.

"What happened?" I asked Veronica and their mom who I noticed were in the room.

"He was shot three times." Veronica answered. "They put him in a coma because he lost so much blood. They said he wouldn't have made it if the neighbors hadn't heard the shots."

I walked over to Drake and ran my fingers through his hair. I examined his face. It just looked like he was sleeping. Nothing seemed wrong.

"What was he doing, when he got shot?"

"Making a drug delivery. They found two bags of Coke, one of Meth, and five of Weed in his pockets. Sam with Darren."

Darren? Darren was there and got shot too? So they were making a delivery together?

"Darren? Is he okay?"

She stared at me for a moment before answering. "They don't think he has a long. A few days tops. He was shot in his liver. They can't stop the bleeding completely and his liver isn't functioning like it's supposed to. They put him on the donation list, but there's not much hope he'll get a replacement in time."

I couldn't help the tears that came. I can't lose both Drake and Darren. Why did they have to get mixed up in this stuff? Why couldn't they be good men and do the right things?

"What room is Darren in?"

"The one next door."

"Can you watch Brandon?"

"Of course."
I walked into the room 344 next door. I found Darren laying in bed, watching TV. He looked at me when I entered.

"Hayden." He smiled. "Nice to see a pretty face like yours when being behind these walls."

I smiled. He's still the same Darren even though he may not have long to live. He's not afraid?

"Have you been crying?" He asked me, reaching out and taking my hand. He gently pulled me closer.

"I'm fine. I'm just scared."

"Of what?"

"Of what's going to happen to you or Drake. I heard the news about you."

"That I may only have a few days to live?" I nodded. "It's no big deal. It's not like I bring anything good into this world anyway. Besides, you have more important things to worry about."

"You're my friend. Of course I'm going to worry about you."
"You need to worry about Drake. He's the one with a son that needs him."

He's right. But Darren is a friend and I'm going to worry about him no matter what.

"Be worried about Drake." He told me once more. "Now go back over there."
"Alright. But I'll be back tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, until you're out of here."