Annabeth Chase

Toby's POV

Miya and I had English with Mr. Blofis first period. We had just started the lesson when the door opened and the principle came in, a girl behind him.

"Hello students. This is your new classmate, Annabeth Chase. Would you please say something about yourself?" He asked.

"Um... I'd really rather not." She answered meekly. The principal nodded and left.

Annabeth walked over to Mr. Blofis and gave him a warm hug. That was weird. Usually you didn't give your teacher a hug on your first day. Maybe she knew him? They exchanged a few words and Annabeth took a seat on my right side.

Miya, on my left, introduced herself. "Hi, I'm Miya and his is my friend Toby."

"Annabeth." She said shaking our hands. "So where do you come from?" I asked.

"Originally, I'm from Virginia, but I live in San Francisco usually. I come to New York in the summers, but I decided to stay here for the school year."

I nodded and studied her more closely. She had a very sad and depressing air to her. She nervously twisted the beads on a leather necklace around her neck.

She looked like she cried a lot, which didn't seem like something someone like her would do. She looked like the kind of girl who little kids looked up to. She looked strong, both physically and mentally.

I wondered what could have shattered that shell she so obviously once wore. If I had to guess, I would say she got her heartbroken by some douche.

I turned back to my textbook and tried to focus on the lesson. There was a ding coming from Annabeth's pocket and she pulled out her phone and set it on the desk.

Someone named 'Repair Boy' had texted her. He said How's Paul's class going? Can you last the day? If not, you can always come back to Camp.

Boyfriend maybe? Why shouldn't she be able to last one day of school? And no one ever calls teachers by their first name.

Annabeth sighed and answered him. She set her phone back down on the desk and the screen turned on. She took one look at the wallpaper and a single tear traced its way down her cheek. I looked at her questioningly, but gasped when I saw the picture.

It was Annabeth kissing someone who looked suspiciously like the kid we researched to no end last year

It was Annabeth kissing someone who looked suspiciously like the kid we researched to no end last year. I looked at Miya and  I knew she had seen it too. She raised an eyebrow and I frowned.

Why had Annabeth started to cry a little? She clutching a coral charm in her necklace now. She was taking really deep breaths like she was hyperventilating.

"Whoa, hey, are you okay?" I asked.

Mr. Blofis looked back at us puzzled. "Annabeth, do you need to step out for a while?" She just nodded.