xvi. Fallen Kingdom

Start from the beginning

Diana had read the information on the personnel files a while ago. She wasn't exactly sure why Fury felt the need to give her another set of them if she already had memorized everything written. Diana's eidetic memory allowed her to remember every single word written in each of the initiative member's files.

Steve continued to read information on the other members of the initiative. He quickly glanced at Diana before continuing to watch a video of the green beast, "Didn't really go his way, did it?"

"Not so much," Phil answered him. "When he's not that thing though, guy's like a Stephen Hawking," Diana chuckled at Steve's confused expression. "He's like a really smart person."

"I gotta say, it's an honor to have you both here. I didn't know if either of you would be so willing to help us after all this time," Phil continued to say to the two. Diana grimaced at his words and bowed her head.

"Well, I hope we are the people for the job," Steve answered and stood up, placing a hand to the still of the ceiling window. Diana remained silent and seated, occasionally glancing up at the two men.

Phil laughed, "Oh, you are. Absolutely. Uh... we've made some modifications to your uniform by the way. I had a little design input."

"The uniform? Aren't the stars and stripes a little... old fashioned?" Steve said, glancing to Diana before finishing his sentence. He remembered their uniforms resembled one another in many ways; he wondered if she still wore the same armor she used to.

"With everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old fashioned... from the both of you," Phil said, causing Diana to finally look at him. Phil sent the demigoddess an appreciative look which seemed to lighten her mood.

Diana nodded at his words, still unsure if she would be able to fight after everything that's happened.

After another twenty minutes, the trio finally arrived on an enormous base, named the Helicarrier, at sea. Diana and Steve followed Phil down onto the platform and to meet a ginger woman.

"Agent Romanoff: Captain Rogers and you already know, Princess Diana," Phil properly introduced them. Steve stood on Diana's right hand side as usual.

Steve sent Natasha Romanoff a nod, "Ma'am."

Diana smiled at Natasha, placing a hand on her shoulder, "Good to see you once again, Nat."

"Hi, and wonderful to see you again, Diana. Coulson, they need you on the bridge. They're starting the face-trace," Natasha Romanoff said her gaze flickering between the three that had just arrived.

"See you there," Phil said, before walking away from them to wherever he was needed.

"There was quite the buzz around here, finding you in the ice," Natasha began to say to Steve. She began to walk away from the jet they had arrived them, with Diana and Steve following behind her. "I think Diana was the happiest, although I did also think Coulson was gonna swoon. Did he ask you to sign his Captain America trading cards yet?"

"Trading Cards?" Steve questioned, glancing at Diana who smirked and gave him a shrug. "They're vintage and he's very proud."

Steve gingerly smiled at her comment. Glancing around, he caught sight of a familiar man who looked very confused. Steve called out to him, "Dr. Banner."

"Oh, yeah. Hi," Bruce said, greeting the soldier with a firm handshake. He glanced over his soldier to see Natasha and Diana now standing behind him. "They told me you both would be coming."

"Word is you can find the cube," Steve said to him with a pant afterwords. The heat of sun beamed on his face, releasing sweat across his forehead. Bruce narrowed his eyes at him, "Is that the only word on me?"

Steve held a steady stance, hands at his hips,"Only word I care about."

"Must be strange for you, both of you... all of this," Bruce said, gesturing to him and Diana.

Glancing around the base, Diana smiled and responded, "I have lived in this world for a very long time, Dr. Banner. You must know by now that I adapt quickly."

"I do, Ms. Prince," Bruce truthfully stated before glancing to Steve for his response.

"As for me, well, this is actually kind of familiar to me at least," Steve said, referring to the similar actions of war going on around them.

"Gentlemen, you may wanna step inside in a minute," Natasha spoke from beside Diana. The two had both stepped a few feet away from the edge of the helicarrier. "It's gonna get a little hard to breath."

"Is this is a submarine?" Steve asked, partly astonished at the advanced technology surrounding him.

Bruce raised his eyebrows at his theory, "Really? They wanted me in a submerged, pressurized metal container?"

The two men walked to the edge of the platform to see propellers winding up and the base begin to hover. Bruce chuckled wryly in realization, "Oh, no. This is much worse."

Diana couldn't help but grimace at his comment before she and the two men followed Natasha inside into the heart of the base.