Isn't That The Truth

Start from the beginning

Gwaine was the first to start asking questions, "So where have you two been? And why are your eyes gold Merlin?"

"Discovering that there is a army massing to attack Camelot." Arthur replied. The whole table stared at him. "While normally I'd say that it wouldn't be much of a problem with size there is one major advantage they have over us. Many, many of their warriors possess at least a small amount of magic that could help them easily defeat many, if not most, of our knights."

Elyan leaned forward, "But Merlin and Morgana-"

Merlin cut him off, "While we could defeat many of the common soldiers ourselves there is a problem with the more skilled ones. We know that now that magic has been legalized many have been learning simple spells in order to improve their lives. And there are some who are shaping their lives to revolve around magic. I saw one man who had at least an equal power to Morgana. Many others if they banded together would be able to give both of us a lot of trouble."

Leon scowled, "We need to stop them."

Arthur shook his head, "We've only heard rumors and no matter how credible those rumors seem we must wait and ensure that they are true."

Merlin placed a hand on the back of Arthur's chair, "Which is why we made a plan. It's honestly a horrible plan and could go very wrong, but I don't think it will."

"What?" Lancelot asked. "I'm guessing it involves you doing something stupid."

"Of course, it's the only thing you can trust Merlin to do." Arthur snipped. Merlin scowled but nodded.

"Pretty much we were thinking Merlin and Mordred could "join" and see what they can learn."

Mordred sat up, and Morgana scowled, "Why not me? And why Mordred?"

Merlin shrugged, "You're a bit more recognizable than either of us. And Arthur won't let me go alone."

"It would help if we knew someone else who can use magic." Arthur muttered, "But Mordred's a good knight and happens to be a druid."

"May I remind you that it's possible for anyone to have magic that they just can't harness cause they haven't learned any spells?" Merlin grumbled.

Mordred nodded, "He makes a point. Any of you could have magic. Really the only reason why the three of us know about ours is because I'm a druid, Morgana's a seer, and Merlin's Emrys."

"So how could we find out?" Lancelot asked.

Merlin, Morgana, and Mordred glanced at each other before Morgana finally spoke, "Well, the easiest spell for most people seems to be starting a fire. So if we took some candles and had everyone try we could test it that way."

Merlin nodded, "Good idea."

Arthur glanced up at Merlin, "Can we start with the who is already here?"

Merlin shrugged, "I guess. Let me find some candles."

The others waited while he went to find some candles. Percival leaned forward, "So how'd you find all of this out?"

"The letter that I received before we left was  in order to warn us personally about this. And then Merlin and I ended up going to this crystal cave and his magic has been acting up since, hence the gold eyes, and then we went to an inn, got some information. Traveled around a bit and got more information and then finally peeked in one the closet training camp before leaving."

They all sat for a moment and took that in. Finally Gaius spoke, "And you didn't take anyone along?"

"It's easier to disguise one person than all of you." Merlin said, stepping back into the room with a few candle sticks. "So. Who wants to go first?"

They all looked toward Gwaine who was sitting next to Arthur and the knight threw up his hands, "What?"

Elyan laughed, "You always do the stupid stunts Gwaine."

"Why's it always me?" Gwaine complained but. Nodded to Merlin who set a candle down in front of him, "So. Mr. Warlock, what do you want me to do?"

Merlin rolled his eyes, "Pretty much all you need to do is focus and say Forbearne." He said and stood next to the knight's chair.

Gwaine studied the candle stick before repeating the spell but nothing happened. Merlin nodded, "I was expecting that." Gwaine shrugged and leaned back in his chair, "Me too. Worth a shot though."

Merlin slid the candle stick over to Elyan on Gwaine's right, "You're turn." The knight tried but was met with similar results. Then Percival went. The whole candle, wax and all burst into flames leaving the whole table staring in shock.

"Merlin, you probably should have mentioned focusing on just the wick." Morgana said, clearly trying not to laugh as Merlin put out the fire. Percival seemed surprised but remained quiet, staring at the puddle if was on the table.

"Well then. Congratulations Percival." Merlin said, making a face at Morgana, "I'm going to suggest that you don't try that without someone else around though." The big knight nodded and Merlin kept going around the table.

Merlin made it all the way around the table, ending with Arthur. When the king tried Merlin frowned, "Huh. That was weird."

They all looked at him in confusion until he continued, "Something happened. But... I don't know how to describe it. It just... Didn't  light the fire. The magic in the room changed slightly, but... You know what, I'll figure it out later."

They all stared at the warlock before Arthur shook his head, "Alright then. So Mordred, Percival, and Merlin will infiltrate this group and see what they can find." He said, "In the mean time we need to prepare the castle and have extra training with the knights."

Leon nodded, "I'll see to it right away sire."

"Morgana, Merlin, Mordred, and Percival I'd like to speak with you privately. For now the rest of you start helping Leon prepare. Gaius, I want you to start gathering everything you might need in the even of a battle."

"Yes sire." Came the chorus response.

When the others left Arthur looked to those who remained, Merlin slipping into the chair on his right. "The three of you are going to to be doing something very dangerous. So I want to ensure that if something happens we know right away. That's where I need your help Morgana."

The High Priestess nodded, "I know Merlin is good a magical communication. So unless he's incapacitated it should be fine."

Merlin nodded, "However we don't want to leave anything to chance."

Mordred tapped a finger on the table, "I can probably manage to learn one with a little help."

"we'll teach him one before we leave." Merlin assured Arthur, "Question is; when do we leave?"

Arthur frowned, "In three days. It gives everyone time to get ready and to smooth out any kinks in the plan."

They all nodded and Mordred stood, "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look through my magic book and see if I find anything useful."

Morgana stood aswell,  "I'm going to see if I can find out more about this group."

That left Percival, Merlin and Arthur left. Percival sighed, "This is not something I expected."

Arthur was quick to reassure the knight, "We aren't saying that you must learn magic Percival, it's just your ability will place you closer to Merlin and Mordred in the camp."

Percival nodded, "Of course sire. It's just I never really considered the possibility of me having magic so..."

Merlin smiled, "It'll take some getting used to. But that goes for all things."

The gentle giant grinned, "Isn't that the truth?" And with that, he left, leaving Merlin and Arthur to head to their chambers in a strained silence.