four

Niall Horan

"Does your life consist of eating, sleeping, and studying or do I just catch you at the wrong times?"

I rubbed my eyes, sitting groggily up in my bed and looked at Harry standing above me.

"Well, I would like to say it is much, much more than that and you're just catching me at the wrong times. But that would make me a liar, as well."

"Well, at least it would make you something. Come on, where is the adventure in your life? You're my roommate for Christ's sake and all you do is sit in here and go to that café."

I sighed, slightly confused at the amount of conversing taking place. I looked up at him, trying to read his facial expression, unsure of his intentions until his lips curved upwards, exposing one of his dimples.

"I have an idea," he proclaimed, his British accent making his pronunciations slightly amusing. "Tonight. You're coming out. With me."

I began to open my mouth in protest, when he spun on his heel and exited the room. "Get off your ass and be ready at seven," he hollered, the door slamming behind him.

I had to admit, I was beginning to get slightly anxious. After all, I've never spoken more than five words to this guy and, in all honesty, I'm not one who enjoys dealing with people. Especially drunk ones, which was guaranteed to be happening tonight.

6:30 rolled around by the time I trudged down the hall to the showers. If I had to make a list of all the things I wanted to do, socializing would be very low on that list. If not last.

Despite my insides screaming not to, I found myself walking next to Harry, struggling to keep up with him as he confidently glided through campus, seeming as if he made girls fall in love with him just by passing them by. I felt different when I was beside him, I almost felt a twinge of self-confidence. After all, I was roommates with the most popular guy on campus, why haven't I thought of using this to my advantage before this?

The walk consisted of five minutes of silence until I finally decided to speak up, "Where are we going?"

His green eyes met mine for a moment and his lips formed into a smirk, "Don't worry about it."

Which of course, made me even more nervous.

I heard the distant music growing louder as we stopped in front of a frat house.

Of course.

"Well, here we are. Your very first college party, how exciting." Harry spoke in a slightly sarcastic tone. "Just stand beside me, you'll be fine"

I shouldn't be freaking out as much as I was.

Internally, I felt the two Nialls battling it out. One was telling me to leave, while the other one screamed to loosen up. I decided to finally listen to the latter.

Harry and I made our way through sweaty bodies pressed against one another, dancing and chattering to music that was unrecognizable to me. As we reached the kitchen, he handed me a beer, which he opened for me.

He thinks I'm an idiot. An absolute, anti-social, inexperienced idiot.

"You're underestimating me, Styles," I laughed shakily, knowing that he wasn't but I felt the need to prove him wrong as I threw my head back slightly and chugged the bottle.

"Got another one?" I asked, trying to cover the fact that I was slightly out of breath. I saw a look of surprise fall onto his face before he reached into the fridge and grabbed two more.

"Looks like I might have underestimated you," Harry punched me in the arm as I threw back my third beer.

A previously unknown feeling washed over me. I felt weightless and I was a bit shaky on my feet. I slung my arm over Harry's shoulder, and had a slurred conversation with him like we were good friends for years.

I introduced myself to people I've never even bothered to look at before. With the alcohol in my bloodstream and Harry at my side, a newfound confidence arose. I'm almost positive I spoke to every person in the room, laughing with them like they weren't complete and total strangers.

I felt a tap on my shoulder, "Come on, mate. It's getting late." I recognized this voice as Harry's, which was unmistakeable given his accent.

"And now I know what I've been missing out on. Damn."

I heard a small laugh escape Harry's mouth, "I had no idea that you would be quite the party. I think this should become a regular thing. Did you see the way those girls were all over you? Who knows, maybe we can get you laid" His elbow nudged my side, which was enough to send me toppling over.

The next morning was hell. Absolute hell. When people described hangovers, I assumed they were being dramatic.

They weren't.

Equipped with a bottle of Advil and water, I made my best attempt at attending classes. The florescent lights were anything but helpful. At one point, I was tempted to ask the professor to shut off the lights so I could take a nap.

Who knew something that was so fun would hurt like a bitch the next morning?

These parties became a weekly thing until they became a nightly thing. Before I was friendless and now I had the two best friends anyone could ever ask for- Harry and alcohol.

This world that was previously unknown and looked down upon by me, was now the only thing I could remember. The thoughts of Alexis subsided now that I was preoccupied by other things. And by other things, I mean other girls who were simply drunken one night stands and not worthy of remembering their names.

Everything that was important to me a month ago, like school and music, simply was replaced by women and alcohol. I craved the attention. All of my life, I fought the desire I withheld to be popular and liked. But now that I am, I couldn't imagine that I never wanted to be.

One night, whilst following Harry to what I presumed would be another party, we stopped in front of a dorm room. A girl's dorm room. Without a word, he knocked twice on the door and placed his hand against it.

In a few moments, the door disappeared from underneath his hand and the outline of a woman's frame appeared.

And what I saw next was something that I had not dreamt about in a long time, but in that instant, all of the curiosity came flooding back.