♣️ Chapter X: A New Friend

[f]

After a short, brief silence, Konan broke it by rushing to me and engulfing me in a large embrace.

"You poor child...!" she murmured, her arms tightening around me. "I had no idea you'd gone through something as horrible as that." I couldn't find the courage in me to return her embrace.

After Konan's small outburst, she withdrew and stood by my side as everyone still waited patiently.

Deidara was frozen in his seat, his jaw clenched as his eyes stayed trained on the ground. Everyone waited in silence for his reaction; I was careful not to keep my hopes up. He had no obligation to pity me—although that was the last thing I wanted from him. T hen, abruptly, he stood and stomped rapidly out of the room, escaping the stuffy atmosphere.

Kisame let out a low whistle. "Damn," he murmured. "That was one hell of a confession."

I shrugged and rolled up the poster again, binding it with the rubber band from before. Grabbing my backpack, I stuffed it back inside and zipped it shut, slinging it over my shoulder.

"Is there anything else you need?" I asked their leader. Pein's lavender eyes bored into me with a certain anxiety.

"You never relayed these details to us... why?" he inquired. "Though you lived an unhappy life, why take it away when there's more to come?"

"I never thought of it as important," I answered. "And when you're a person like me, my future is already determined: nothing but sorrow is left for me."

Then, disregarding Tobi as he reached to grab my arm, I slunk out of the room and into the hallway. I crept down the long corridors until I could sense that I was finally alone and crumpled to my knees, furiously slamming my f istsinto the rock wall next to me.

"Fuck!" I swore. "Why did I do that? Why did I have to do that now?!" I regretted nothing up until the moment I told Deidara I was in love with him. But even now, there was nothing I could do to change the circumstances. He hated me because I mentioned Sasori's name. He thought I had laid disrespect on his name.

Exhausted, I shuddered and my back fell against the wall. I opened my backpack and dug around until my fingers grasped around my iPod. I pulled it out and powered the screen on, inspecting it as to why it was working even though my backpack had fallen into the ocean with me. Or even, why everything in my entire backpack was perfectly the way it was before.

Though  baffled, I pulled out my  earbuds and stuck them in my ears while scrolling through my music. I was going to do what I always did when things got hard; I was going to listen to music.

I sighed as I tapped the song I was looking for: The Scientist by Coldplay. The piano immediately began to blast in my ears, Chris Martin's melodic voice flowing forth. Because of my habit and passion, I began to sing along also.

"Come up to meet you,

Tell you I'm sorry

You don't know how lovely you are

I had to find you,

Tell you I need you

Tell you I'll set you apart

Tell me your secrets and ask me your questions

Oh let's go back to the start

Running in circles,

Coming in tails

Heads on a science apart

Nobody said it was easy