Don't Mix Business With Pleasure

Rayne's POV

Recently, I had been doing a lot of meditation for myself. A lot of things had been flowing through my mind.. a lot of negative thoughts of myself, Michael, and our relationship as a whole. After that whole thing with Maria, I realized our relationship never really bounced back. We seemed to just ignore the obvious and settle the business portion, leaving our personal feelings of guilt, or in my case, resentment, to ourselves. We seemed to think our relationship was stronger than average and could endure anything tested against it without actually working to maintain it. We had cut off our emotions when neither of us were ever truly over it.

I started to think that's why Andre had been getting to me so badly recently. Maybe I was starting to long for something different, but I couldn't imagine acting on anything. Be that as it may, I knew I held serious grudges toward Michael.

Pulling me out of meditation, my son climbs in my lap and turns the channel to his kid shows "mommy, no music." He demands, turning up his show. I open an eye, frowning at him, letting out a sigh and switch my radio off. "You know I was here first." I sigh, sitting him on the floor beside me.

As I stood, I run into Michael who was walking towards his office. "Hey." He smiles, "how was your meditation?"

"It was interrupted by your son, but it was good while it lasted." I say a little awkwardly. I honestly didn't have much to say to him because I was still dealing internally with forgiving him. He didn't know that and I wasn't to keen on telling him again.

"Well that's good, it does wonders for you. You look so much happier nowadays." He gleams, grabbing my waist. I place my hand on his chest to avoid being pulled closer.

I give a false smile and say, "things just come into perspective for me. I'm not happier I'm just clear headed."

He smiles, "well I'm glad you're doing it. You look great."

"Thanks Mike... I'm gonna go make breakfast for the kids." I pull away.

As I'm cooking, I see my cellphone vibrate against the counter, Andre's name lighting up as rang. My stomach tied in knots as I watched it ring, something in me telling me to answer it, but I simply ignored the call.

I listened as my husband and daughter sat in the living room talking about Michael's newfound retirement. "So now that you're retired you can stay home all day?"

"I sure can Millie. I can help mom out around the house and sometimes even take you to school." He enthuses. I grin before my phone rings again, the same name popping back up.

"Andre, seriously?" I whisper.

"I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't be calling but.. I've been thinking and I really need to see you. I have a business proposal for you." Andre pleads.

"Why can't you just say it now." I ask.

"I wanna say it in person. I promise it'll be quick. I just wanna know your thoughts."

"... Andre.." I hesitate.

"Listen, we could meet at Derrick's if it makes you more comfortable. I promise it's strictly business." He continues with that same slick grin I could hear over the phone.

I sigh...Derrick wouldn't let anything happen, so I guess that's ok. "Fine. I'll be there in a few hours." I say before hanging up.

"Where are you going?" Michael asks as I'm sliding on my boots.

I hesitated, "um.. just over to Derrick's for a quick second. He needs to talk." I shrug.

"Is he ok?"

"Umm. Yeah. I think he's got a surprise for Lea or something. I don't know, I won't know til I get over there." I clear my throat, keeping my lying eyes away from Michael.

"Oh ok... do you think you'll be late? Should I get dinner started tonight?"

I sigh, "sure.." giving him a brief smile before leaving.

I know I shouldn't have lied to Mike, but given Andre and I's slight history, he'd have a fit if I told him I was meeting with him. I didn't fully lie... I am going to Derrick's. I think to myself
***

"Rayne! Buona Sera! It's so good to see you, it's been so long since your last visit!" Lea smiles opening the door and greeting me with a hug. I'm also hugged at the feet by my Goddaughter Isabella.

"Look at you, getting so big! And looking more like mommy everyday!" I grin walking in. "It's good to see you Lea! Is Derrick around?"

"In his 'man cave' with his friend Andre." She giggles rolling her eyes. I walk downstairs calling Derricks name hearing jeers at the TV.

"That was a shit call!" I hear

"Looks like you owe me $20."

"Hey!" I interrupt.

"Ray! Hey.. completely forgot you were coming over here. 'Dre and I had a couple beers and started watching the game." Derrick smiles, hugging me.

"Andre." I say coldly.

"Rayne." He smirks. "I'm glad you could make it. I've got a couple things to ask you."

"Take your jacket off, I'll get you a drink." Derrick says heading back upstairs before I could object.

"What do you need Andre?" I ask, placing my hands in my jacket pocket.

"Well, with both of us being artists, you having a bigger base than I... I was thinking we do a big art collaboration. Open a gallery and get some paintings sold." He says confidently, crossing his arms.

As much as I wanted to say No, that was actually a good idea. I hadn't sold anything in almost a year and with Andre being a known face in this industry, it'd help boost both our sales. I raise my eyebrow.

"I see you're thinking about it." He grins, "it'd be a great opportunity for the both of us and you know it."

"It would be..." I admit. "On one condition.. we meet at my public studio, that way no funny business can happen!" I demand.

He tosses his hands up, "I don't mix business with pleasure." He smirks. "You've got a deal. We can start next week?"

He outstretches his hand for me to shake. I'm still pretty hesitant but I agree before heading back home.

I'm not sure how I'm going to explain to Michael this new project I've gotten myself in. But, I am excited to get back into my art. Now that Michael's retired, I'll have more time.