And that's the last thing I remember.

Layne's POV

"Why are you so scared of me?" I join KJ on the lawn and we stretch out under the stars, everything seems to weigh heavier on us. Or at least on me. After watching her put back those shots, I doubt she'll even remember us talking in the morning.

Still, her inebriation isn't gonna stop me from questioning her.

"I don't want to hurt you." she slurs.

"I don't know much about you, but I don't think you'd ever hurt me," I reply, "You aren't the type to hurt people, I don't think. Not intentionally.."

I stop talking to the stars and turn to face her. At some point she'd rotated onto her side and faced me too, "How could you ever know that?"

"I have this notebook..." I hesitate, before biting my lip. I decide to take the risk, "I know it's gonna sound stupid.... But I think I used to be in love with you, Kaylie Jane."

"No you didn't," she replies, not even catching my use of her real name, "We were both seventeen. We didn't know shit. And definitely not about love."

"But we were together...?"

She nods, and then goes silent.

"Kaylie Jane--" I pause, not knowing how to finish my thought right away, "Everyone acts like I'm a time bomb. Ever since I got out of the hospital I've felt wrong. Only when I'm with you, you make me feel like myself? I don't know. Never mind."

She rolls back onto her back and I move to rest my head on her chest. Like second nature she drapes an arm around me. She smells like sweet cinnamon and something earthy.

"Layne?"

"Yes?"

"You can't fall in love with me okay?"

I laugh, "Too late."

I wait for her response, but I am met instead with a soft snore.

"Jane?" I turn to her and see that she's out like a light. I slowly drag her to the couch, not able to carry her full weight back upstairs. I prop her head under a pillow and then head upstairs, using the bathroom. I open their medicine cabinet, in search of painkillers. Alprazolam. Hm. I find what I'm looking for, but not before taking a picture of the bottle, deciding to google it later. I head back downstairs, grabbing her a glass of water and ibuprofen, leaving it on the table next to her for when she awakes.

I stare at her, peacefully in her drunken state. Without thinking I take a seat and watch her, pulling out my phone and researching the pills found in the cabinet. Xanax. I look at her again. "You really shouldn't mix you happy pills with Jack Daniels," I say to her. She snores in response. "You're really cute when you're asleep," I murmur. I sit back and close my eyes, "You're cute when you're awake too, you piece of shit."

Somehow I fall asleep too, and wake up around five in the morning. I need to go. Like yesterday. I catch KJ shivering on the couch, and I toss a blanket over her. As I get ready to head out, something on the table catches my eyes. No fucking way. I grab it off the table and drive home, enraged.

***

When I make it home, I'm still fuming. I burst in the door, finding the guys eating breakfast together.

"How was your date?" Dru smiles at me. Fucking Dru.

"It was fucking marvelous. Until--!" I throw down KJ and Vin's house note, with instruction to pay to the order of Dru. More specifically Druett Matthews-Sinclair.

"You guys are married!" I yell incredulous.

"You're seeing our tenant!" Dil yells back.

"Dil what the fuck?" I shout back, "Are you shitting me?"

"Layne-- Wait," Dru goes to say something but Dil shushes him.

"I can explain," Dil states, calming down, "You were in the comma still."

"So you got married while I was fighting for my life?"

"We didn't think you were going to wake up!"

"You weren't expecting it, you mean! So when were you going to tell me? Your fifteenth anniversary?"

"Layne a lot of things happened while you were out," Dru jumps in.

"Shut up, Druett I don't care! I'm tired of excuses! I'm expected to report everything to you and you tell me nothing!" I walk back to my room, grabbing a bag and filling it with clothes.

"Where are you gonna go?"

"Fuck off!" I scream it so hard, my throat hurts, then I'm gone, door slamming behind me.

KJ's POV

I manage to wake up the next morning, and on time at that. I don't remember much about the night before. Almost nothing after my last couple shots at home.

I rush to shower and head into work, taking the motorcycle for it's ease of maneuvering and speed. After I finish opening up I take a break, digging through my phone for old contacts. I pull up the one I'm looking for and dial it.

"Hello?"

"Chess?"

"I'm sorry but who is this?"

I hesitate. "It's KJ Parker," I reply, "Your favorite line cook to ever serve JOINT?"

"Mother fucking, Parker!" his voice lights up at the recognition, "Hey, how's it going? You're graduated now, right? God, I feel old."

We catch up for a little before I get around to asking him what it is I really want.

"I was wondering if you have any openings at JOINT?"

"I thought you were a college kid now? Too smart to be flipping burgers."

"It's not for me," I tell him.

"I wish we did kid," he apologizes, "But I can't really offer you anything right now."

"Okay, thanks," I hang up and sit at my desk, pondering the next step. Just then, Charlie comes in, way earlier than necessary. She's not in a hoodie today, but a baggie sweatshirt.

"Good morning, Ms. Charlie," I greet her, "How are you?"

"Fine," she speaks, catching us both off guard. Her voice is heavier than I ever thought. Low and smooth, similar to mine.

I nod, trying not to make a big deal out of it, "That's good to hear. Anything else you'd like to say?"

She shakes her head and takes a seat.

***

Work goes by easily and I head home. I get a text from Vin, notifying me of his safe arrival in Colorado, and telling me that there's a gift for me at home. I find myself accelerating on my way home, a sudden rush urging me to travel faster.

I park my bike and head inside, following his instructions, leading me to his weed stash. I'm just lighting up when there's a knock at the door.

"Hello?" I open the door, revealing no other than Layne Sinclair.