Upsetting News

My name is Sandy, I turned 20 before I started my first semester of college. My second semester started in January. I was out of college for Christmas break, a month off, when I was in high school, it was half that! A day after I got out for the break, Mom got a call saying my brother Tyler was released from prison after being there for half a year for failure to pay child support for two little kids he barely sees. Tyler was eligible for parole. 

I was getting ready for bed that night, I sleep on the bottom of a bunk bed that me and Tyler used to share when we were little. Mom and my step father knocked and walked in.

"Hey, Sandy, um, we need to talk to you," Dennis said.

"Sit down."

I sat on the edge on the bottom bunk bed.

"Yeah?"

Mom and Dennis squat in front of me.

"We got some, uh, we got some news," Dennis said.

"What?"

"Do you remember that one kid that went to school with you?"

"What kid?"

"That Italian kid."

"Joseph Bianchi," Mom said.

"Yeah? What about him?" I asked.

"His grandmother is, uh, going to Sicily to see her brothers and sisters and other relatives for the holidays and he's going to be spending Christmas with us."

"What!? You're letting Joey Bianchi, the bad boy and school bully live with us!?"

"He's not living with us, he's just staying for a few weeks. It's not gonna be bad, alright? Now, I know he made bad choices in school but both of ya'll go to the same college, he's probably matured and more responsible. I know you've always been scared of him especially when he talked back to the teachers and he'd get mad. Give him a chance, please. You two could get along if you'd give him a chance."

"Fine."

"Ok."

"When is he coming?"

"Tomorrow morning at ten."

Mom and Dennis walked away so I could go to bed.