Chapter 3: Looking Back

Kaye's P.O.V.

Geez, where is Anelis?! Why hasn't she returned inside yet? Even the ates and kuyas haven't seen her enter or even pass by the security cameras. Sheesh. Reminds me of my parents. I miss mom and dad. Even my baby sister. Do you guys know the feeling of being totally alone in your house even if you are surrounded by a ton of household help? Yep, it sucks. My parents care so much about their business that they are willing to ditch their two beloved children to go abroad for months and come home twice a year for our graduation and birthday. I'm practically a mother to my little sister. How old is she, you may ask? She's turning 12, while I'm turning 17 in a few months! My mom stayed with us til my lil sis was nearly 2. At that time there was suddenly an emergency which she had to help our father. Now...you practically have to beg them. Damn.

I finally decide to look for Anelis after her departure 15 minutes ago. Wearing a simple t-shirt and sweatpants, I jog down the stairs and head out the front door.

"Ma'am Kaye, saan outside?" One of the maids call just before I pull the front door open.

"Yaya, hanapin ko friend ko po."

"Hija, yung guards na lang, dark outside, very danger." According to mom, most of the help only graduated from elementary which is why their English is poor, but they care about me. Even more than her.

"No po, I don't want her Nanay to get mad po."

"Okay, hija. Pero if not back ka pa in 10 minutes, I'll labas ha?"

"Yes, yaya, I understand po."

With that, I swing the door open with yaya on my trail.

"Anelis!" I yell running to the gate.

"Anelis! Where are you? It's getting late and you have to be home soon!"

There I spot her, sitting on the edge of the sidewalk, talking to a dark haired guy.

"ANELIS!" I walk briskly to her side, standing next to Mr. dark hair.

"Kaye, stop shouting, I'm alright, see?" She places her hands out in front of her, all the while sitting.

"Yes, I can see that. Can we go back in already?" I stare at her with my puppy dog eyes I know no one can resist.

"In a minute. By the way, Kaye, this is Jasper Alonzo, kababata ko. Perry, this is Kaye, kaibigan ko," Anelis introduces us.

"Jasper Alonzo, or you can call me Jas," he stretches his hand out to me.

"Kaye Cue, just Kaye," I respond, shaking his hand.

"Nice to meet you Kaye, are you also from Cuerdas International School?"

"Yes, if I'm not mistaken, you're in one of my classes?"

"Oh right, yes, Math. Sorry, just remembered you take honors with me." How funny, I don't seem to remember this guy. Just vaguely, like I heard the teacher call his name before.

"Ah, okay." I change the subject to avoid embarrassing myself oops. "Anelis, why Perry?"

"Hahhahah!" Jas nudges Anelis. "Annie, ikaw kaya magkwento."

Thinking that this is probably a long story, I sit beside Anelis and he does the same, on the opposite end, also next to Anelis.

Anelis rolls her eyes. "Fine, ganito kasi yan Kaye," she starts. "Nung bata pa kami, we used to play sa dagat. Tapos yung Nanay niya tawag sa kanya, 'Per,' sounds like 'pear,' the fruit. But the guys in our kindergarten would tease him as you know, it's a girl's name. We decided to add the 'ry' to his name because he resembles a platypus, just like the pet in 'Phineas & Ferb.'