Chapter XXXVI: I Took Matters Into My Own Hands

Start from the beginning

And by the Lord, I could have even sworn I saw a fresh, red bruise just beneath his collarbone, standing out proudly against his pale skin, which was supposed to have been covered - had the top button of his shirt been buttoned, and had his cravat been in its proper place.

One did not need to be a genius to put two and two together.

I swiftly lowered my head again, and stared hard at the ground. I let the long curtain of my hair cover my face, so that I could safely and quietly release the warm pop of laughter that was bubbling fast up my throat.

Katherine Harrington was a force to be reckoned with, indeed.

"You may rise," Brother-mine commanded, coming to a slow stop before us.

All three of us stood up together, and looked up at him. Queen Eleanor offered him a smaller smile than the one she had given me, as she held her hand out towards him.

"It is a pleasure to meet you again, Your Imperial Majesty," she greeted him, "I hope I find you in good health?"

He took her hand, and leaned over to kiss the air above it. "The pleasure is all mine, Eleanor," he assured her formally, "and you are welcome here. I am in good health, thank you, and I hope you are too."

She inclined her head.

He then turned to my Lady Mother, sheepish. "Good afternoon, my Lady Mother."

For the first time in a very long time, my Lady Mother scowled at the very sight of Brother-mine.

"Good afternoon, Your Imperial Majesty," she tried hard to maintain a neutral voice, but was failing miserably, "forgive me if I am wrong, but did I not send word an hour ago that Queen Eleanor has come to visit us? Why have you come so late, and so unkempt?" She eyed him, almost bewildered.

He would not meet her gaze, or any of ours, directly, but I could tell that he was trying not to smile. "I tried to come as soon as I could. I am sorry about the delay," he cleared his throat, "I was very busy."

"Busy with what, Brother-mine?" I teased.

Or with who, I wanted to add.

If it was at all possible, Brother-mine turned a brighter shade of scarlet than he already was at that. He turned around to roll his eyes at me briefly, before looking away from me, but I had caught it.

Although he was trying hard to hide it, his sea-green eyes were simply shining with the light from all the candles in the room, and brighter. Truly, I had not seen him this happy in almost a month, and a small smile unfolded on my lips.

Thank you, Mistress Harrington.

"I was, well, busy with my work and lost track of time. That is all, " he answered me evasively, clearing his throat again, "now please, sit down, all of you. I do not wish to waste any more of your time than I already have."

We obeyed. He strode over to the other end of the room to grab a stool, waving off a Lady-in-waiting who was about to fetch one for him, and sat down from across us.

"Well, Eleanor, to what do we owe this unexpected pleasure?" he asked her.

Queen Eleanor leaned forward. "I have come to see my son, Prince Richard. I received word that he has been found," her eyes began to brim with tears of happiness, "that you have been taking care of him here, in the Palace."

Brother-mine's eyes grew to the size of saucers. He stared at her, stunned, and all the wind was knocked out of him. The earlier light in his eyes was extinguished at once, as he tried to respond to that.