『 thirty three: NOT ALL STARS SHINE. 』

Start from the beginning

"I thought they could know?" Bella asks with a frown.

"Only Star and Lyanna can," June clarifies with a shake of her head. "Since they're the ones who got imprinted on."

"Gotcha," Bella nods.

"And Star recently got her markings maybe like a few weeks ago," June hummed with indifference. "Like the ones I have on my back? She got them on her ribcage. No doubt they match Jared's. She swears Jared's got some voodoo on her. But since Jared hasn't told her, I'm stuck acting confused."

"How do you think she'll react?"

"It's Star," June winces. "Who knows?"

"And Leah can never know?"

June looks at her hands, "It's better that way."

"I saw her with Troy Sandoval the other day," Bella says offhandedly. "He works part-time at Newton's with me. She seemed ... happy?"

"Troy Sandoval," June murmurs the name, suddenly remembering the face. "Oh, yeah, I know him. He used to come to the diner a lot and Jacob got all pissy once because he was staring at me supposedly. But Leah's hanging out with him?"

"She was the one picking him up after work," Bella confirmed with a smile. "It was nice to see her, I don't know, smitten? If you can say that. They kinda ... well they kissed—"

"—WHAT?"

"—casually, like it wasn't their first time." Bella went on, shrugging a bit. "I didn't see much because I didn't want her to think I was lurking, which was I was. Anyway. She just looked genuinely excited to see him and all, it was nice seeing her smile other than scowl for once."

June takes the information in. "Leah's got a guy."

"Don't put labels on it," Bella laughs. "Maybe she's just having some fun, I don't know?"

"Leah doesn't have fun," June shakes her head. "Not that she's incapable of getting over Sam, it's just, I know her. Or maybe I thought I did. But what I'm saying is: Leah isn't reckless, when she loves, she loves. It's not fun for her. She wants what her mother has, what Sam always promised her when they were together."

"Maybe it wasn't meant to be," Bella offers. "Not everyone has a soulmate, June. Some of us just have a really epic love and it crashes and burns ... maybe Troy will give Leah everything that Sam couldn't."

"I just want her happy," June admits. "This whole Sam-Emily-Leah thing is the most fucked up scenarios since the boutique I love in Port Angeles stopped selling my fave lipgloss."

"Really?" Bella rolls her eyes.

"Okay maybe not that bad," June jokes. "But bad."

"She's grown," Bella says. "She'll find her way, no matter how long it takes. Anyway, what about you and Jacob?"

"We're good," June smiles to herself at the mention of her boyfriend. "It's easier this way, no secrets or hiding or anything. He's perfect, as usual."

"But — you're okay? You're not overworking yourself?"

"Like Jacob would let me," June snorts a bit, smiling at the mention of her wolf. "He's basically there constantly asking, is this safe, Sue? and You sure you're good, June? I could kiss him to pieces sometimes. He worries too much."

"I'm glad," Bella chimes with a smile. "If you don't look out for yourself, it's good that Jake's there to make sure."

"I know my limits, B." She says with assuring look.