Prologue

Shraddha's Point of View:

Life can be so strange at times. It can take any turns without your permission. One small action can change many things at once. But how you handle it makes a huge difference. Every now and then, I wonder where my life is going to take me.

"Ma'am. We've reached your destination", The cab driver announced pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Oh okay. How much for the cab ride?" I asked.

"40 dollars."

I nodded at the cab driver and started rummaging through my bag for my wallet. Man, I have so much clutter that I can't even find my wallet.

"Ma'am hurry up, please."

"Yes. I'm so sorry."

Ugh. Where is it? This can't be happening. I hope I didn't lose it. I checked the outside pockets of my bag and finally grasped onto my wallet.

"Thank God." I sighed in relief and took out 50 dollars.

"Here you go. Keep the change." I said as I gave him the money.

"Thank you so much. This is very kind."

"No problem. Can you please help me with my luggage?"

"Yeah sure. Ma'am."

The driver got out of his car as I waited for him on the mushy pathway. I was lost deep in my thoughts in the ride that I didn't even realize that it was really dark and that it was snowing. I checked the time on my phone and it was hardly even 5:15 PM.

As I thanked my driver for bringing my luggage, he got into his car and drifted off. His car left imprints on the road which would soon be erased by an onslaught of fresh white snow. Thank goodness that it started to snow after I landed. Otherwise, my flight would have been canceled and I'd have to stay an extra day in India.

I started walking towards my hotel as I struggled to move my luggage in the snow.

These recent events in the past month have taken a toll on me emotionally and physically. Thank the Lord that I am back in New York and that I am away from all that has occurred.

I don't need anyone. I am fine on my own.

I entered my hotel and everything was flooded with decorative lights and wreaths. The hotel had a hint of a cinnamony scent. Did I mention that it's the holiday season?

"Oh my God! I am so sorry ma'am." I was startled back to reality and turned to my side to notice a woman of her late 30's with a petite figure giving me an apologetic look from her desk.

"We have a shortage of bell boys. Here. Let me help you with your bags." She continued on as she stepped a foot away from the front desk.

"No. No." I chipped in. "It's fine. I got this. I am a big girl... I have a reservation here under the name of Shraddha Rao."

"Yes. Let me check in the system." The receptionist started clicking away on her computer. "Ah. Yes. Here are your keys Ms. Rao. Your room number 1104. Enjoy your stay."

"Thank you." I said as my lips formed a smile.

"Feel free to summon me anytime. Are you sure that you don't need someone to help you with your bags?" The receptionist inquired.

"It's fine. Thanks." I flashed a smile at her and proceeded towards the elevators.

I pressed the button and waited for the lift to come. I glanced around the hotel and it came to my realization that this hotel is too luxurious for my budget. But it was the only hotel I was able to book last minute when I was about to board my flight. I let out a sigh. I guess what God does is for the best.

The lift is taking way too long to come. I pressed the button a few more times. I'm tired as hell and this damn elevator isn't even coming.

"Come on." I whispered in frustration.

"Don't break the button." I heard a very deep, husky voice from behind me chuckle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello my lovely readers!! How'd you like the prologue?!

Please read the next few chapters :) It'll definitely mean a lot!! Thank you

This is a reminder once again that this book is not intended for kids. This book will definitely have mature content.

Also, please, please, please, do not copy any of the material that is in this book because I wrote a similar plot for a play and I really worked hard on it.