Chapter 5: Love Songs

I walk into Glee Club the next day and try to avoid eye contact with Ryder. I just run to my seat next to Marley and Tina. I keep my head down.

"Hey," Marley says, noticing my awkwardness. "What's up?"

I look up at her. "Ryder tried to... kiss me yesterday."

Her eyes widen. "What?! Did you kiss him back?"

"Shh..." I say. She quiets down. "No, there was no kiss. My mom called before he could."

"Well, did you want him to kiss you?" She asks. 

"I don't know..." I reply. "Maybe... but I've never kissed anyone."

She looks me in the eye. "If you want to date him, go for it."

I smile and give her a hug. Then, Mr. Shue walks in. 

"Okay, let's get started." He says. "Does anyone want to go first?"

Ryder raises his hand. "Beth and I do."

Oh no... 

We both stand in front of the class, waiting for the song to start. I look at him, awkwardly , then back at the rest of the Glee Club. 

The music starts and we start singing. The whole time we were singing, we kept making awkward eye contact.

When we were done singing, everyone stands and claps. Ryder and I smile and bow. Then, I sit back down next to Marley.

"Okay, there is definitely some chemistry between you two." She tells me.

I roll my eyes. "Didn't you see how awkward it was?"

She shakes her head. I roll my eyes again and turn to the front.

When the bell rings, I grab my bag and walk out, hoping that Ryder won't try to talk to me. 

Just then, I feel someone tug on my shoulder. I turn around to see Ryder. Just my luck. 

"Hey," he says.

I don't make eye contact. "Hi."

"Look, I don't want things to be awkward between us," he explains. "But I really like you, Beth." He takes my hand. 

I look down at our hands connecting. I don't say anything. I'm speechless. I try to talk, but nothing comes out. We just stand there, staring into each other's eyes. Suddenly, he starts leaning in. This time, I freak out and run away. I feel really bad because I wanted to kiss him, I was just scared to. I don't stop running until I get to the parking lot, into my mom's car. 

"Hey, how was your day?" She asks.

I slam the car door behind me and burst into tears. I lean onto my mom and she just holds me for a few seconds while I sob into her shoulder. Eventually, I sit up straight.

"What's wrong, baby girl?" She asks me, wiping my tears.

"Ryder tried to kiss me again. I wanted to kiss him, but I got scared and ran away." I sob some more. "He probably thinks I'm a freak. He probably hates me."

Mom leans closer to me. "If Ryder is a good guy, he will keep fighting for you. If he thinks you're a freak, that's his loss. You are gorgeous, funny, generous, and the sweetest girl I've ever met." I smile through my tears and hug her. "Now, let's go home." She says, smiling.

She starts the car and we start heading home.

When we get home, my mom starts dinner and I run up to my room. I start doing my Science homework when I get a call. It's from Ryder. I hit 'decline' and turn off my phone. I just need a break from everything. 

After dinner, I go up to my room and go to bed.