Chapter 4: Glee Club

I walks down the hall of William McKinley High School and as I pass the billboard, I realize that the Glee Club sheet is up. I run toward it and search to see if I made it. As soon as I see my name on the sheet, I jump around and squeal excitedly like an idiot. Marley and Jake run over to me.

"What are you so excited about?" Jake asks, smiling at me. 

I smile. "I made it! I'm in Glee Club!"

Marley squeals with me. "Oh my gosh, we're gonna have so much fun in Glee Club together!"

I hug the both of them, tightly. Jake kisses Marley on the cheek and waves at me before walking away to his next class. Marley and I walk to Science together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk into Glee Club with Marley and we sit in front with Jake, Marley, and Brittney. Brittney turns to me and gives me a hug. 

"How are you doing?" She asks.

I take a deep breath. "I'm doing fine. My mom showed me a picture of my birth mom last night. Was she always that pretty?

Brittney laughs and nods. "Yes, you're beautiful just like your mom."

I smile at her. Mr. Shue walks in and claps once, loudly. 

"Alright, before we start today, I want to introduce one of our newest members, Beth Fabray." I smile, stand up, and wave at everyone. "Beth is the daughter of a legend in this room." A tear falls from my eye. "What's wrong, Beth?"

I wipe my eyes. "I've never met my mom."

Mr. Shue looks at me, apologetically. "I'm so sorry. I had no idea."

I sigh and sit back down. "No, it's okay. I'll probably meet her eventually."

He then turns around and rights the word 'Love' on the whiteboard. "This weeks assignment is to find a song about love and perform it in front of the class."

Ryder raises his hand. "Can we do partners?"

"Yes, you can do partners." Mr. Shue responds. "Now, get to work."

I stay seated, thinking about what song to do. Suddenly, Ryder sits next to me.

"Want to be partners?" He asks. 

I smile at him and nod. We start throwing ideas around, but we can't find the right song. Then, Ryder says, "So, why did you come to this school in the middle the school year?"

"Well, I went to Carmel High School, but I didn't like the people there so I moved here." I explain.

Ryder smiles. "Well, I'm glad you did."

I smile at him. He's such a sweet guy. 

Then, the bell rings and I grab my bag. Before I can walk out the door, Ryder pulls me to the side. 

"Can you meet me in the auditorium in ten minutes to work on the assignment?" He asks.

"Sure." I say.

I hug him before walking away to my locker. I grab the rest of my homework, then start walking to the auditorium. 

When I get to the auditorium, I see Ryder already sitting on the stage. I drop my bag on a seat and run onto the stage. I sit next to him and we look through the music.

"How about this one?" He asks, holding up the music.

I nod and smile. The band starts playing the music for the song.

Beth:

You're the light, you're the night

You're the color of my blood