Chapter 3: Conversation

I walk home after try-outs, thinking about the conversation I had with the Glee kids. I finally know who my birth mom is, but I don't even know what she looks like.

I walk into my home and drop my backpack on the couch. I throw myself onto the couch. Today was rough and I can't stop thinking about my birth mom. I feel someone sit next to me on the couch.

"Rough day?" I heard my mom say.

I look up at her and sit up. "Can I ask you something? We've never really discussed this before."

She smiles at me. "Of course, sweetie."

I sigh. "Can I meet my birth mom?"

Mom looks down at her lap, like she didn't want to make eye contact with me. "Not yet. I don't think I'm ready."

Anger boiled inside of me. "I'm so ready! I've been ready for fourteen years, mom!"

"Beth..." She starts to say, but I interrupt her.

"Ya know, maybe you're not ready! All I want is to meet my birth mom and I don't understand why I can't." I said before walking away.

Mom looks at me as I walk away. "Beth, please come back!"

I just run upstairs to my bedroom and slam my door behind me. I feel a little bit guilty for shouting at her, but I'm more mad than anything. What if my birth mom is looking for me too? 

Before I can finish thinking, I hear a knock at my bedroom door.

I groan. "Come in."

Mom walks in and sits next to me. I don't make eye contact with her. 

She sighs. "I'm sorry, Beth..."

I look at her. "No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have blown up like that."

"You were right. I'm the one that's not ready." She says. "You deserve to meet your mother." A tear rolls down her cheek.

I wipe her tears. "What's wrong, mom?"

She sniffles. "I'm just scared. What if you meet her and like her more than me and want to live with her instead?"

"There's no need to be scared." I put my arm around her. "No matter what happens, I want to be here. I wouldn't leave you for the world."

She smiles at me and I give her a big hug. Then I ask, "Can I at least see a picture...?"

Mom pulls out her phone and starts looking through Instagram. Then she pulls up a picture of a blonde hair girl who looks like she's in her twenties. 

"Is that her?" I ask. Mom nods. "But she's so young."

"Well, she did have you when she was sixteen." She laughs.

I laugh too. A tear rolls down my cheek. She's so pretty. I would do anything to hear her sing. I bet she's amazing. 

I look back at my mom. "Is she a good singer?"

Mom smiles. "She's an amazing singer and dancer. She was a cheerleader, you know?"

I nod. "I know."

A few more tears fall from my eyes. I would love to meet her. Mom puts her arm around me and pulls me into a hug. We sit there for a second, then let go. 

"It's getting late." Mom points out. "Do you want dinner?"

I shake my head. "No thank you, I'm not really hungry. I think I'm just going to go to bed."

She looks at me with a concerned look on her face. "Are you sure?" I nod. "Alright. Goodnight, baby. I love you."

I smile at her. "Goodnight, mom. I love you too."

She walks out, closing the door. I crawl under my covers and turn out the light.