Preperations

Beatrice struggles to lace up my corset back as I can't stop myself from twirling in my new gown. The blue sheets of material sway and cascade around me with the lilac and pink blossoms wrapped around my bodice seems.  The lilac and pink blossoms are what the palace will be decorated in tonight as well, they are supposed to represent Irene's light and iconic purple colours.

"Hold still will you!" Beatrice exclaims still unsuccessful with lacing my corset shut

"Sorry," I snigger, "This dress is just magnificent. I swear O'kasis has the most extravagant clothes I have ever seen". Beatrice finally bows the thin laces and sits me down at the vanity to comb and style my hair. She creates as braided crown of hair around my head and finishes it by adding the delicate flowers that match the dress. She simply says,
"Done!" I twist my head to look at the braid in awe, "You will be the focus of all the guests eyes tonight". She places her elbows on my shoulders and smiles along with my wide grin.
"You should be attending the ball tonight, you work here after all". She shakes her head,
"There's a servant ball held in the servant quarters tonight, that's where I'll be dancing. Along with a couple of drunken chefs". Laughter fills the room before a knock interrupts us, I know who it is before I answer it. The door opens to reveal his face,
"Zane!" I twirl with a beaming smile, "what do you think? Was it worth the wait?" Zane jaw is practically dragging on the ground before he snaps out of his small trance, coughing slightly to redeem himself.
"I've...never seen someone more beautiful." He says it so quietly I ask again but his next reply is, "I mean..the dress... I've uh..never seen something more beautiful". I smirk,
"Oh the dress. So...," I walk towards him slowly arms behind my back, "is that the only thing you find beautiful?" Zane blush has spread throughout his entire face now as he stutters for words.
"I um.. Got you this for tonight". Zane holds out a small golden leaf tiara with small amethyst gems laced in-between a few leaves. Zane has his own version but his golden crown has larger leaves and little to no gems but it is anything but less extravagant.

I clasp my hands together in front of my chest with a face of full amazement

"Oh Zane," I carefully take the magnificent tiara from his hand to look at it more closely, "this is absolutely beautiful. This must have cost you a fortune". Zane smirks and retrieves the golden piece to place it on my head, he adjusts it a little before he says,
"Now that your wearing my gift I can finally say what I think". He kisses my hand, "You look beautiful". My cheeks redden rapidly as our eyes meet again. Zane's shirt has a few small golden leaves sewn onto it, a few shades of amber peeping from behind. This could possibly be the most colour I have ever seen Zane wear compared to his usual dark attire. Zane holds out an arm for mine to intertwine with and we glide down the stairs towards the main hall.
The sun is slowly setting with a few remaining glimmers catching on the tall windows. We wait outside the hall doors where we'll greet the guests as they enter the room. Zan paces a little
"Now remember DON'T sit down till I gesture everyone to; it won't go down well. Oh and also-"
"We've been over this Zane. I know the ques like the back of my hand". He smirks,
"I know you do- I just feel better saying it..i suppose". My smile suddenly fades when a thought crosses my mind.
"What should I say...if they ask about...us?" Zane's once worried expression becomes almost remorseful as he brings his pacing to a halt walking up to me slowly.
"If they ask," he says as his blue eyes stare down at me, "tell them the truth". I instinctively give a off an expression that is a mix of surprise and confusion. "I know that at first we were both at each other's throats and maybe sometimes we still are.." He chuckles, "but I believe... or at least I hope we are acquaintances," his expression changes, "maybe even...friends?" My lips begin to part as the words try to escape but Zane beats me to it. "I know that it may be a stretch, but I truly...truly regret what I've done to you and... If you decide to leave after tonight..." He holds my hand, "I promise to accept as well as respect your wishes". Silence.
"Zane..." I say
"After tonight you are no longer forced to remain here. You are better now I hope?"
"Thanks to you"
"..but you were also hurt thanks to me...I know I don't deserve a second chance but if you somehow decide to stay I will show you who I truly am. Not this 'High Priest' nonsense just Zane." My hand reaches for his face when suddenly a butler runs in in a panic.
"My Lord! The guests' carriages were spotted in the city!" He is panting so loudly from the mad dash he has just made, however Zane and me don't break our glance. Not even when Zane replies with,
"Well we best be ready to greet them". We both share a smile as the butler continues to panic back down the hallway.