Chapter 1

Chapter 1

You sighed to yourself as you trudged down the road, carrying a little bag over your shoulders. Your village was overrun with monsters and you with all of the other citizens were forced into exile. By monsters! A clan of kikimores, queen and all had taken over the mine near the village, where most of the men, including your husband had worked.

Of the thirty men that worked in it, only seven had made it out, your husband was not one of the lucky ones. He was killed by the queen kikimore. Then the warrior kikimores had chased everyone else out of the village.

You were walking down the road with a heavy heart. It was pouring rain and gale force winds, just a lovely day for a walk! You are _ years old and a widow! Great, just great. You're too old to marry again, and too young for the ususal widow. But here you are. You have hardly any money left, barely any of your belongings and just the clothes on your back.

You and the group have been walking for hours now, when a man rode by. No one seemed interested in telling him of the dangers that lied ahead, do you took it upon yourself to inform him. You touched his leg to get his attention. He stopped his horse and turned his body to face you.

"Excuse me, sir?" You called out to him.

"What is it?" He responded, his metallic voice deep and rough.

"I wouldn't go that way, our village has been overrun with kikimores." You said to him.

"Shouldn't be too hard for me to solve." He said flatly.

"The beasts have killed over twenty men, surly you can't kill them, the queen is in the mine."

" I am a Witcher, I deal with this on a daily basis."

"A Witcher?! Here?!" You thought to yourself. But it did make sense, he did not look like your average man. He had pure white hair, and he obviously did not look old.

He had golden cat eyes. And now that you payed attention, you noticed that he was wearing a medallion, shaped like a wolf's head baring its fangs.

"Oh! That's right... Geralt of Rivia?"

"Yes. Of course you know me, everyone has."

"But of course! Your exploits are famous. Especially the striga story. Everyone knows how you cured the girl." You said excitedly.

"If your village would wait here until I come back, that would be the best idea. And once I return, you may return to your homes. Is that acceptable?" He asks.

"It seems so to me, but you should tell our village leader, Mannek, your plans. He decides what the village does." You say to him. Geralt got off of his horse.

"Where is your leader?" He asks politely. You pointed at the overweight and balding man, "That, is Mannek. Good luck convincing him though. He acts like such a coward!" You warned the Witcher.

"Thank you." He said and then went over to Mannek. The rest of the villagers stopped walking at a command from Mannek, after Geralt had spoken to him. You then watched as Geralt turned from the leader and started heading back to you.

"Looks like you managed to get him to listen, eh?" You asked when he arrived where you were.

"He just wanted the village back, and I negotiated some pay from him as well." He stated rather emotionless.

"So, are you heading out straight away? Or are you staying for a while?" You asked nervously. You don't know why but something about this strange man pulls you to him.

"I think that it would be best if I left the sooner I leave, the sooner you can return to your homes." He said.

"Thank you," You said, grateful that you don't have to walk anymore and will be returning to your home soon.

"I'm just doing what I'm meant to." He said and nodded at you as he hopped back into the saddle of his horse. "Farewell." He said as he rode off. You said a simple "good bye, Geralt," when he was out of hearing range.