Chapter Two: Lachlan Island

Start from the beginning

"Once you are through the gate you may proceed up the path." Dean Lachlan spoke somewhere up front. "But wait for me at the square. Understood?"

"Yes, Dean Lachlan."

Our group answered in tired unison.

I tried to peek around Jo to see how many people were ahead of us, when she smirked at me over her shoulder.

"Trying to get another look at the Dean?" She winked, her voice barely above a whisper. "If you think he's hot just wait 'til you see Camp Sec."

"Camp Sec?" I whispered, ignoring her playful assumption. "What's that?"

"Campus security," she shrugged. "They patrol the campus, mostly at night, and are so unbelievably effing hot!"

"Miss Pritchard,"

Jo stiffened at Dean Lachlan's impatient tone.

"I'm sure Miss Ridley would like to reach campus before nightfall."

Jo's shoulders slumped.

"Right," she mumbled. "Sorry, sir."

Then, she stepped through an open gate. She glanced back at me, her expression unreadable.

"Coming, Miss Ridley?"

I gave him a nod and stepped through the gate, absentmindedly running my fingertips up the cool metal as I passed. It was smooth, and polished so well that I could probably see my reflection if I had bothered to look.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

I cocked my head at the Dean, and he gently kicked the gate shut before elaborating.

"The gate. It was made quite beautifully. Wouldn't you agree?"

I glanced back, taking in the intricate floral patterns that were carved into the silvery gate.

"Absolutely," my eyes flashed to his for a moment, then to the stone steps ahead of us. "We should probably join the others."

He gave me a short nod. "Of course." Then, he bowed slightly, extending a long arm out toward the steps. "Ladies first,"

I wasn't sure if he was attempting to be cute or if he was just old school. Either way, I couldn't stand there all night trying to figure it out.

His eyes stayed on me as I walked past him and up the steps. The bottoms of my sneakers scraped loudly against the rough stone steps; I wondered if it bothered Dean Lachlan. It certainly did me...as did the silence between us.

"So..." I began, not really sure what to say. "How long have you been Dean of Lachlan University?"

I heard him sigh behind me before he answered.

"Longer than I care to remember,"

He sounded tired, preoccupied, like he was lost in thought.

"Oh," I wasn't sure what to say next, or if I should have said anything at all.

We were nearly at the top of the steps, but I couldn't see any of the other students. I glanced back at Dean Lachlan when my foot accidentally missed a step. I gasped, my heart sunk deep into my chest, but I didn't fall. Well, I guess I did kind of fall, just not down the steps. Instead, I fell into Dean Lachlan's arms. His strong, strangely stiff arms.

"I'm sorry, Dean Lachlan." My voice came out in a rush as heat flooded my cheeks. "That never happens to..."

I trailed off, having met his gaze.

His eyes were wide, shining bright blue as he scanned my face. There was a reserved wildness behind his stare, one that made my heart slam into my breastbone. I gulped, unable to do anything else as he licked his parted lips in a slow, unintentionally seductive way.

Then, someone laughed.

It wasn't a light-hearted laugh, and it wasn't close by. It seemed to come from nowhere, yet everywhere, and it was dark, maniacal.

Suddenly, Dean Lachlan released me to stand upright.

"We should go," his tone was low, clipped. "Forget this ever happened."

It felt like more of a command than a request.

I was trembling, but managed a nod before turning to go up the steps.

We walked the rest of the way in silence. I could still feel a set of eyes on me, only now I wasn't sure if they belonged to the Dean or someone else. The thought of someone lurking around watching me made me shudder, and I hugged myself to hide the action. It wasn't until we approached a crowd gathered by an old bronze statue that I began to relax.

"Hey, Audrey!"

Jo waved.

Connor was standing with her, checking out the statue when he turned to give me a wave. His hand dropped, though, as Dean Lachlan came to walk beside me.

"Do you remember what happened?"

He whispered just for me to hear.

I gawked at him. Was he serious?

"I do," I finally mumbled, turning my gaze back on the other students. "Don't worry; I won't say anything." I added, remembering he had asked me to forget it.

I wasn't really sure what to make of the situation, so mentioning it to anyone seemed pointless anyway. Besides, nothing bad happened.

He looked incredulously down at me, but a sly smirk soon lit up his face. "This should prove to be a very interesting semester."