Prolog | Why Me

"Sometimes these cuts are so much deeper than they seem

You'd rather cover up I'd rather let them bleed......"

Natasha took off her headphone, sighing. The path was long, and she had been walking for hours.

When she was doing the right thing and undoing her past, no one seemed comprehend whoever of them, they fought for men's freedom and survival, however merely gaining more enemies but nothing else in the end. She couldn't understand why the world was not even giving her a second chance to rebuild herself, if it was not for protecting the all of them, she wouldn't even be here.

Natasha suddenly felt so strange. She stopped herself from pacing, feeling a pair of eyes staring at her from behind. What the hell, she thought, being brave enough to turn and observe.

As her head turned, a cold arm instantly wrapped around her neck while another clutched her shoulder. She swallowed, couldn't quite follow what was going on.

"Say a word and you're dead." she heard a voice hissed from behind.

The coldness of the arm made Natasha shiver, her body tensed, her hand went to where her gun was put. She bit her lips and pulled it out, planning to shoot the person threatening her while he skilfully grabbed her gun and released her, Natasha jolted forth as the man shot her recklessly.

"Ah..." Natasha collapsed to the ground, her hand trembling, the other covering the bleeding wound on her shoulder.

What the hell is this guy doing?

The person walked forth to observe her, she lifted her head, shocked.

Loki.

Loki maybe feeling a little bit surprised as he stared at Natasha shockingly, he dropped the gun, concealing his emotion. "Hello, Agent Romanoff."

Natasha frowned in pain, groaning while sweat falling down her face.

Not again.

"Get up." she heard him coldly requested. Natasha glared at him, somehow did what he requested her to. She used a hand to balance, strightening her trembling body, her wound wouldn't stop bleeding. She turned to face Loki, she didn't know what he wanted and some parts of her were frightened.

It's okay he's not gonna scare the hell out of me, she supposed.

Yes she was the best SHIELD agent, however when facing foreign force, she couldn't ensure that she would win the battle.

Even for Black Widow.

Loki extended an arm to her, removing her hand from her shoulder that was currently covering her injury. He used his hand to cover the bleeding part of the wound, green glimmer sparkled around his hand, Natasha watched in confusion, he looked concentrated, but god knew what was he doing.

Loki withdrew, and Natasha was shocked to notice the wound had gone, her shoulder was healed. Loki glanced, enjoying her reaction towards his deed.

He took several steps backward, studying the new look of Natasha, the unrecognized look that had nearly made him kill her. Her shoulder-length hair was straight, the signature red of her hair was replaced by a color mixed with red and brown. "New haircut, huh?" Loki teased, "Weird."

Natasha scanned his face. Loki's raven hair was long, longer than she remembered. "So is yours, lady." she raised an eyebrow.

"You're always humorous if I may note that." Loki faked a laugh. How long had he been holding a laugh.

"What do you want?" Natasha solemnly asked, retreiving her gun.

"I came with no specific purposes Agent Romanoff, if that's a consolation to you."

"Be so kind to tell me are you staying then." Natasha gazed. Yes." he sounded firm, firm enough to make Natasha trust him.

"How long?"

"Why would you care, I ain't going back."

Natasha sighed, she wanted to know his intention, however hearing a hint of grief and anger behind his voice as he spoke, she swallowed back the idea. "What do you want me to do?"

Loki pondered. "Look, I don't plan to, but I think I am asking a favor. I think I deserve one from you."

"Why?" Natasha couldn't help but questioned, she didn't see which part of him deserved a favor from her.

"I just saved your life."

"You shot me." Natasha slightly raised her voice. "If you are a mere woman I would have left you here and watched you die." Loki darkened his tone, Natasha turned her head to the left and observed her shoulder.

"That's just because a mere woman can't help you but I can." "I'm glad that you get the point." Loki smirked, his emerald pupils beaming.

Natasha shrugged. "I'm sorry but I can't help you. God knows what other harms you will do to earth."

"I mean no harm to anyone." Loki lowered his voice, Natasha could tell he was trying to hide something, but she couldn't quite tell what it was.

"Tell me why are you here, to earn my trust."

"I'm sort of, just like you, Agent Romanoff," Loki's expression became serious, "Hiding."

"I'm not hiding." Natasha was rapid to defend herself, however the deed exposed her to him instead.

"Oh you are not hiding?" Loki raised an eyebrow as he lowered his head to stare at her in the eyes, "Then I don't see what are you doing Agent Romanoff, the whole world is after you."

"They won't take me."

"Give it up."

Natasha stared, she knew she couldn't ask for more, making the god of lies splitting something out was already awesome enough to make her praise herself. "Fine, but I need to ask Fury about that."

"Just give me a small place so I can settle down." Natasha could tell he didn't want anyone, even her to know it, Natasha just felt weird, she persuaded, "He can help."

Loki shut his mouth.

Natasha took out her phone, dialing.

"Hi director."

"Hi Agent Romanoff, know what, I've got a whole seafood plate for lunch, you just gotta try it if you get a chance."

"I had a bread," Natasha shrugged, playing a bitter smile between her lips. "This call is gonna cost you a lot. Anyway, what's up?"

Natasha bit her lips, glancing Loki that stood beside her, "It's like, Loki came back, and he is likely to stay for quite a long time."

"I would say no to that and please take him back to Asgard." Natasha heard a hint of panic behind his calm voice, she turned to observe Loki. Let me talk to him."

Natasha turned on the speaker.

"Thor is in Asgard and you can't possibly contact him and ask him to bring me back while your human world doesn't have something like Bifrost to send me back by your own, and when Thor was defeated by my words and agreed to let me stay for a while you can't possibly send me back." Loki stated, seemed like he already had a brilliant plan before he visited earth.

Nick Fury was quiet on the other side of the phone, Natasha assumed that he was thinking. "What of your apartment, director," Natasha disturbed his spinning thoughts as she wisely suggested. "Right, I have a small flat near and he might settle in. For you, Agent Romanoff, I suppose you still have the key and remember the address. I will have you staying with him there and keep an eye on him. Think of a solution to take him back, and I will be thinking as well."

Natasha swallowed in disbelief. She didn't understand why the worst was happening to her. She wouldn't care what Loki was now, but this was a big threat to her life and safety. She assumed that Loki would be living on his own so she'd call Nick Fury for help, but what now, she wouldn't even want to imagine.

"Yes director." she glanced at Loki with malice, sighing.

"Whatever happen, just give me or Rockole a call."

"That shall be useless," Natasha sighed, started walking gracefully, "With me, Asgardian."