Christmas

The palace was heavily decorated with tons Christmas decorations, every one had some type of tree in it with a different theme. The treasure room had a the biggest tree, all the trophy items were carefully placed as ornaments, and it had bight multicolored lights with the nether star we acquired from the wither storm. Jesse, Lukas, and Axel were the biggest Christmas fanatics  out of the order, new and old. They were the ones who took the time to put up every single garland, light, candy cane, ender cracker, everything. Thankfully they'd be the ones to take it all down. Olivia and I appreciated the holiday but agree that going all out seemed a little unnecessary. Ivor  and Gabriel seemed disconnected from the Christmas spirit, I think its because they never really had an opportunity to celebrate while they were exploring the world. Mangus was never the same since Ellegaaurd passed, he became even colder and isolated. Every now and then he'd catch us by surprise and say a silly joke, but the smile faded away too quickly for us to react properly. 

Axel thought it'd be 'hilarious' if he covered the entire furniture in the main living room with wrapping paper, and Jesse thought the idea was a good and festive one so she forbade the tearing of it until Christmas. As much as I would love to ruin Axel's fun, I wouldn't want to ruin Jesse's spirit. Seeing her run all around and getting everything ready in time for Christmas Day was entertaining. Lukas and her went out nearly everyday gathering materials for the upcoming dinner. Or so thats what they say, I'm convinced they're out getting presents for everyone. 

Sitting uncomfortably, I was watching Tv. Well, more like looking at it because all the crackling the wrapping paper did underneath me made it impossible. "Alright I've dealt with Axel's dumb pranks!" I got up from seat and took out my sword. I had it held up over my head and when I was about to slam it down Jesse spoke.

"Whoah hey Petra, what are you doing?" She was holding a somewhat small box wrapped in maroon paper with a golden bow on top.

I screamed and dropped the sword which fell right behind me and landed... into the floor. "I-I was just practicing my singing J." I could feel the heat in my ears spreading to my face. 

"Hmm sure." She hummed with a small smirk and furrowed brows. "Looks like you killed the floor, dude." She laughed, her fingers were lightly tapping the bottom of the box.

I cleared my throat and gathered my thoughts. "Yeah, that'll teach the floor." I chuckled and ripped the weapon from the floor boards. "I'll fix that before Christmas comes don't worry. Speaking of Christmas, whose gift is that?" I pointed with the sword in my hand. 

Jesse tiptoed closer and used her pointer finger to lower the metal and waved the box in the air with her free hand. "What this thing?" I rolled my eyes with a smile and attempted to snatch it from her grasp, but she was too quick and I grabbed plain air. She then pushed me back onto the  snow golem covered couch and leaned in right to my ear. "It's for you of course." Her whisper sent shivers throughout my body and I could feel all the hair on my arms rise. 

"Well if it's mine, let me open it." I whispered back. 

"Good try, but its not Christmas yet, dummy." Jesse stood upright and walked away, leaving me stranded and with a gaping mouth.

"Wha? Whoah wait come back!" I ran after as soon as she turned the corner, but she was gone. "Oh come one Jess! Its only two days away!" I shouted throughout the palace, the only response I received were my echoes. Defeated, I went into the kitchen to get a snack. The fridge was filled with ingredients for what ever Lukas planned on making. At least, I hoped it was Lukas making Christmas Eve dinner tomorrow because last time Jesse made something, I had to forcibly wolf down a salted, soggy pancake. 

The day passed and I spent the remainder of it looking for the resources to fix the floor. Living In the city where you can't just chop down a random tree has its defects at times, but at the same time its nice having civilization around. I laid down on my bed with my arms behind my head and looked at the ceiling.  I wonder what's in the box, its small so it can't be a sword or a pickax. Maybe its a compass.  Both annoyed and curious I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep.

I woke up to loud clanging of pots and thuds from slammed cabinets, after that I couldn't really go back to sleep so I decided to get up. I was determined to pry my surprise out of Jesse. The palace was chilly and the windows were so bright and white, I'm guessing it had snowed throughout the night. "I hate snow." I mumbled to myself and made my way to the kitchen, sure enough Lukas was making his "famous" pumpkin pie. 

"Oh hey, Petra. Did you take a look outside? It snowed!" Lukas smiled and tied his apron tighter. 

"Yeah I saw it already. yay." I cheered sarcastically. "What do you have made so far?" I leaned over a freshly baked cake and used my finger to wipe some icing off. 

Lukas furrowed his eyebrows and took the cake off the counter. "Nothing for you... at least not yet. You'll have to wait until later to see the whole meal." 

"You're really gonna make me wait hours instead of spending a minute to tell me?" I groaned. 

"Yeah. I am." The blond chuckled. He then got real close to me and peered over his shoulder like he was watching out for someone. "Just so you know, Jesse insisted on helping me earlier so you know what that means."

"Don't tell me she made soggy bread rolls." 

"Well, I don't know how it tastes but she managed to get her hands on the cookies. Looks like you'll have to please her cooking skills later. " He winked. 

"But I did it last time! You bailed, its only fair." I crossed my arms.

"She's your girl, I'm not responsible." He held his hands up in defense. 

Dinner turned out great and surprisingly Jesse's cookies were "that" bad. Everyone besides Gabriel and Magnus stayed and talked a for a little, reminiscing the pasts adventures and trying hard not to rip the wrapping paper on the couches. At midnight everyone decided to head to bed and the only people left were Jesse and I. The raven haired girl stood up and reached her hand out, helping me up from the floor. 

"I suppose you're waiting for your present?" Jesse smiled.

"It is Christmas isn't it?" I checked the time.

She hummed and presented the maroon box. "All for you." 

Hesitantly, I took the master box from her hands and felt a little uneasy, I'm not the type to receive things from people. I'm usually the one who ventures off and does the giving. "What is it?" 

"That would ruin the surprise dummy." 

"I guess you're right." I tore the paper right off it and opened the box revealing a book. Internally I frowned but I smiled at Jesse. "Wow.. a book, I love it."

"But its not just any book Petra, Open it." Jesse instructed. "I know you hate reading so why would I give you just a plain book?" 

"I don't know,  maybe you want to convert me to you weird librarian ways." I laughed, Jesse rolled her eyes with a smile. 

I opened the book like Jesse told me and my eyes went and I smiled profoundly. "No way a flame enchantment?" I looked back at Jesse. "Where did you even get this?" 

"Lets just say you're not the only one who goes on little quests. Now you and Miss Butter can cook up some spiders and zombies while you're out there."

"I love it, it's just what she needed. Thanks Jesse." I pulled her into a hug. "Don't think I didn't get you anything." I whispered into her ear.

"What could you have gotten me?" She whispered back.

"Follow me." I led her by the hand all the way to my room. Upon opening the door, tiny oinks greeted our feet. 

"Oh my god, is that? A pig!" Jesse fell to her knees and scooped the piglet into her arms. 

I sat down with her and rubbed her back. "Speck is no Rueben, but I promise he'll grow up to be you best friend like he was." 

Jesse put Speck down and looked at me with teary eyes. "I didn't think I would ever be ready to move on with a new little guy, but I can't resist this little snout." She lightly pinched Speck's nose, causing him to let out a tiny oink. Her attention back on me she leaned in and burrowed herself into my arms, Speck finding the tiny space between us and laying there. 

"Thank you so much." Jesse let out with a weak, but meaningful voice.

"Merry Christmas, Jesse."