Battling Fear - Chapter 3

The caravan of oddly assorted vehicles pulled up at the school on Chapel Street to find the buildings around the school destroyed but the school itself looking as if it had never been touched. They slowly exited their cars and approached the school while hoping that all inside were as safe as the outside would leave you to believe. Before anyone could knock Sean threw open the door and stepped outside to greet them.

“Damn man it looks like world war three exploded in this neighborhood last night what happened?” Andrew questioned him.

“Max stood guard to help but kind of let the converts test our security and enforcements to make sure they would hold when he wasn’t here. Since the converts were uncontrolled a rage erupted, when they could smell us inside but couldn’t get in. They began going at the nearby buildings trying to find other sources. It took Max almost an hour to get them calmed down and away from here.” Sean laughed.

“Well, at least we know the building is welled secured.” Cass laughed as she stepped past Sean and led the others into the school.

“That we do.” Sean chuckled turning to be the first to follow her in.

“So have you figured out how you’re going to organize the unpacking today and where you’re going to put everyone, Sean.”

“I had a feeling you would try to put me on the spot and test me. So, yes, I have.” Sean answered.

“Then you’re in charge, tell me where you want me to unload, boss.” Cass replied.

“Could I get everyone to come to the gym, please!” Sean called out over the noise of the group talking. Entering patiently into the gym he waited for everyone else to gather there with those who had spent the night with him in the school.

“You will have a large shelter here, Sean but I have confidence that you are the man I need in charge here. Don’t be afraid to draft help from everyone and enforce the guidelines if they don’t like it they can leave. Safety first, after all that is the point of the shelters.” Cass told him as they waited.

“I won’t” Sean answered.

“Attention everyone can I have your attention please.” Cass hollered to get the groups attention. As they waited a second for the noise levels to fall and heads to turn, Cass took a step back behind Sean letting him know it was his show. 

“Just a little information then we will get started. We went through the building a lot last night. We placed markers on each door designating the rooms. The Basement rooms will be used for storage of the schools materials in the far back the areas closer to the stairs are marked for pantry items this is canned goods in one and boxed foods in the second. There are two rooms down there also marked for frozen goods any deep freezes found need moved into those rooms. The shop class will be left as it is. We will use it for building things we need such as shelves and stakes. I need anyone with knowledge in that area to stop by and sign the list on the door there so we can get with you later and discuss plans. The kitchens over there will also be left as they are. There is also a sign up list on the door over there as you can see if you have experience cooking especially cooking for large groups please sign up. As you can see we have set up the schools dining tables here in the gym as they do for lunch daily. But there is a lot of room left so any dining tables brought in need to go in here. The nurse’s office and four rooms near it have been designated clinic rooms. Any medical supplies above basic band aids need to go there. The principal’s office will be our main office of operation. The library will stay as it is to give us all an activity, the same with the weight room. Next to the library, a room has been marked as a nursery any extra baby supplies can go there and next door to that is a play room. Toys go in there. Any questions so far.” Sean asked.