Chapter 20

The thought of him gives me goosebumps and shivers down the spine.

The thought of us together enlightens something in my stomach, something that burns within myself, that runs in my veins, keeping me alive.

It's now that I realize I need him more than ever.

So, before checking the clock, I pull myself up from the bed and tie my black Converse around my feet. 

It's one in the morning.

*** 

I've memorized the way to his house and it's like following a secret map that only belongs to me. I check the clock again, acknowledging the fact that it took me half an hour to get here.

I wonder if he is going to open the door to someone knocking at it at this late hour.

But you never know.

So I retrieve my hand from my right pocket and knock a couple of times.

My jaw drops when the door slightly opens, revealing a sleepy Neymar.

"What the fuck?" He starts. "Milla?" His voice is hoarse and he rubs his eyes to get a better sight of me. 

He then quickly pulls me inside and in his movements, I hit my head on his shirtless chest. 

"Um", I hesitate, trying to find a convenient excuse. Finally, I give up and splatter the truth. "Alright, but don't kill me if I said I missed you and just wanted to see you." 

He shifts from one foot to another, raising both his eyebrows. "In the middle of the night?" 

I nod shyly.

"Screw it, Milla, this is the sweetest thing someone has ever done to me, but do your parents know?" 

"I sneaked out", I spit out the words. "And took an Uber to your place." 

Neymar covers his entire face with his palms. "You should've called me first, what if something happened to you? I would've come myself to take you, but ordering an Uber in the middle of the night, these things are dangerous", he splutters with disappointment. "What if something happened to you-", he goes on repeating quietly, making me stiff.

I curl my fingers around his and stare at him widely. "It didn't happen. Okay? It's fine, I'm fine, look at me." 

"No, it is not. It could have, don't tell me. You didn't measure the circumstances. Because if something bad happens to you, I'm lost-", Neymar begins, his voice shaky. "I'm fucking lost"

I scratch the side of my face and stare at my feet.

I'm so neglectful. 

"I just wanted so bad to hold you, I don't know, I just couldn't think of anything other than you", I state, finally looking up at him. "And I knew that you would be leaving early today with the team and I wouldn't have time to catch you, so I decided to come now." 

"Come on, here", Neymar shortly replies, finding my waist and pulling me up against him. He carries me to his bedroom and drops me on the bed. Afterwards, he stops and searches for something in his unlit bedroom. 

"What are you looking for?" I wonder, lowering my eyebrows.

"My sleeping bag, I thought I left it here somewhere-"

"Neymar, I don't mind if you sleep next to me", I burst into a laugh. "Firstly, it's your bed and I'm the one who disturbed you from sleeping. If someone has to sleep in a sleeping bag, that would rather be me than you."