“Oh my God Paige!” dad squealed. I felt awful at the mess I had made but it was actually an expected reaction. The pizza had been growling in my tummy since last night and the sight of this torture wasn't helping. Dad immediately rushed to the room briskly and after a quick change he raced out of the house as if running from an actual alive scorpion.

Mother's eyes sparkled at me, indirectly begging me not to desert her but I wasn't sorry to disappoint her. The dish deserved no consideration or redemption.

“I'm going on a hunger strike” I sighed and went up to my room ready to prepare for school. For the third time in a row I was going off to a miserable institution on an empty tummy.

Times like this made me Miss Kelly, she would always pack a spare breakfast for me but now she was so far away and I couldn't wait for her return — it was a matter of life and death. Another day like this, and I was going to have a nervous breakdown.

What to wear, what to wear. I thought even if I had no idea why I attempted to think when I always end up with the same fashion disaster.

I always dressed to disappear but it seemed my invincibility spell wasn't functioning properly I felt even more exposed to the world than I should.

I was the only mad girl who wore black all through, or sweat pants every day of her life and today, went with the all black, suddenly wishing I was a descendant of Harry Potter and inherited his invincibility cloak.

****
With every step I took into the hallway my tummy growled even louder, awakening the beast inside me. Today had to be one of my crankiest day ever, the first person to approach me was going to get it and as I closed my locker sensing a presence behind me I knew exactly who it was going to be.

“Breakfast” Brandon offered, raising a mini brown bag to my sight. I was about to snap at him but watching him swing the mouth drooling beauty in my face made it hard to invoke the beast. I had no idea what was inside but anything was better than scorpion venom.

Too staving to appreciate the kind gesture I snatched the bag, descending on the sandwich and cold yogurt like a savage beast returning from the desert after a month of dehydration and starvation.

Brandon just stood there admiring my piggy nature and the vicious spirit I had kept hidden.

“How did you know?” I asked with my mouth full still currently stuffing more.

“I noticed Kelly's back up food and figured it was for the cave monster best friend” he smirked leaning on my locker trying to find a comfortable posture and continued to admire my classic manners and etiquette.

“What? Mom's a bad cook?” his voice dripping with sarcasm like it was impossible to have a monstrous cooking mother — if only he had met mine he would swallow his words back in one shirk.

I shook my head saving mother from the sad embarrassment.
I finally rushed down the cold yogurt savoring every taste hoping it could replace the stench of pizza that surrounded me.

“Don't expect this gesture daily it's just my way of saying thank you”

“Thank you?” I asked confused as I wiped my mouth clean with the back of my palm.

“Yeah for this” he raised his A+ chemistry paper to my face, I had even forgotten about the project being drowned in the drama of my daily life.