Past

Aurora

     I stood center stage with a big grin plastered on my face. I basked in all my glory as people clapped as I took a bow. All my fellow actors walked up next to me and had a smile just as big as mine. We all took a bow together and then ran off the stage and into the crowd. Some walked out of the school so they can get picked up and others went and greeted audience members that they know.

     Standing at 5'1, it was a bit tough for me to search through the crowd of mainly adults. I polity pushed pass people in attempt to reach my twin brother and my best friends. Eventually, I heard my name being called. I followed the sound of the familiar voices. Once I caught sight of my brother, Calum, I ran toward them. Calum had his arms wide open for me to hug. Calum and I embraced each other as he gave me compliments on my performance. We broke the grip we had on each other and continued to speak of the performance. My other friends started praising me for how amazing our performance was and I thanked them in return. We continued to chat until I noticed one of my friends was quite silent.

"Michael. Are you okay?" I said and look at him.

"Oh no." Ashton whispered. I looked at Ashton in confusion.

     Maybe something bad happened at home and he's upset. I examined Michael's face. His hair was more in front of his face than usual. His eyes kept looking everywhere except for at me and they seemed slightly filled with tears.

     I wonder what's wrong with Michael. Did I say something wrong? Why was he about to cry? I hope he's okay.

"Aurora do you mind if we talk alone for a second?" Michael asked me.

"Do you really have to do this right n-" Luke said but then was rudely cut off by Michael.

"Aurora cmon." He said and grabbed my arm. He led me outside by the school entrance. We stood there for a second in silence.

"So...what's up?" I say just to break the silence. He sighed very loudly then began to speak.

"Look you are amazing at performing and all but...we all miss you. You haven't even been hanging out with us at lunch. It's kinda upsetting to not see you there sometimes."

"I've been really busy with theatre. Since I've been so busy with theater I've been able to make more friends and I've been hanging out with them a little. It's no big deal. I'm not leaving you guys forever."

"Aurora do you not see my problem here?" He questioned me. I hesitantly shook my head in response.

"I'm tired of you doing theatre. Please just stop doing this stupid crap."

"What? No. Why would I do that? I love theatre. It's fun. You can't make me stop theatre."

"Really I can't? C'mon choose."

"Choose what?"

"Between your friends or theatre."

"No I'm not choosing that's ridiculous Michael."

"Fine I'll choose for you. Don't talk to me ever again Aurora Dawn Hood. Don't even talk about me to any one. Here's your stupid flowers." He said angrily and shoved the flowers into my chest. I held onto them and stared at them.
      I wasn't exactly sure what to think. I stood in shock wondering if he really meant what he said. He sounded incredibly serious. If this was as serious as it sounded I wanted to breakdown into tears. I held back my tears for the time being and waited for Calum to come outside and get me. I tried my best not to think about everything that just happened but I couldn't stop trying to wrap my head around the idea.

       I felt a small tap on my shoulder and I looked up to find Calum gesturing for me that it's time to go. We walked over the the pick up area together. Calum immediately spotted our mom in the line of cars. I followed closely behind him as we walked to our car. We got into the vehicle and I gripped my flowers tightly. Almost the whole ride home I stared at those flowers while my mom and Calum talked about futbol or whatever. I stayed silent deep in my thoughts.
We arrived home and I ran up the stairs to my room. I closed the door quickly and hot tears streamed down my face rapidly. As I cried I felt a physical ache in my heart. It's been less than an hour and I missed Michael. I missed the boy I use to have bug eating contests with and get insanely in trouble for it. I missed all the trouble we caused. I missed all the childhood memories I shared with him. I missed our conversations. I missed his comfort when I was distressed. He's been my best friend since we were five years old and he's just throwing it all away like that. All over missing a few days of sitting at lunch and not spending enough time with him. I don't get it at all.
I placed the flowers on my bedside table and lied down on my bed facing the wall. I began crying so hard that I could barely breathe. I tried my best to keep my cries silent but it was nearly impossible. I was gasping for air and sniffling so I couldn't get much quieter.

      I heard a small knock on the door and a small voice spoke from behind it that I recognized as Calums.

"Can I come in?" I wiped my eyes and pulled my self togetber the best that i could. I fixated my body so I was faced toward the door now. After i fixed myself i said that he could come in. Once he walked in he began talking to me.
" I kinda figured you were gonna be a bit of a mess after your conversation with Michael so I brought you some tissues." He said while he placed them on the bed. Calum then began unwrapping the flowers an arranging them in a vase while he proceeded to talk to me. " I also brought you a vase for those flowers but how are you holding up?"

      I sat there holding back tears not sure what to say. What was I suppose to say to him? That I'm horribly upset and that I want my best friend to be in my life again?

"Aurora?" He said and finally took a glance at me. I already knew he was examining my puffy red eyes and tear stained cheeks. The pain I was feeling was worse than he probably thought I would be cause Calum looked almost shocked that I was this sad.

"Oh Rory. You're gonna be okay." Calum said and sat on my bed and rubbed my back.

"Does he really mean it Cal? Does he really not wanna be friends with me anymore?"

"I honestly don't know."
~~~~~