part 11 - alt

The years went by and slowly but surely it was beginning to show on their faces (although George insisted that she looked younger every day. "if that were true then I'd be a baby again!" she'd say with a laugh.) So many things had happened over the years; all four of their children had gotten married and now they had grandchildren and what was even more exciting was that there was a great grandchild along the way!

New Hope Club were finished; the boys were still great friends but the band had stopped touring and making music years ago. They still had all their social media accounts open but they didn't get used anymore. The last post the three members had posted were all on the same day and it was the same two pictures: the first picture ever taken of them as a band and the last. All three posts had the same caption: 'the club is now closed, thank you for joining us,'.

"I miss being young," said George one day.

"Don't we all?" she chuckled.

"I miss it when my joints didn't ache and everything was such a struggle," he sighed.

She laughed. "Surely everything isn't a struggle!"

George grinned at her and reached out to hold her hand. "No, you're right. Loving you isn't such a struggle I suppose."

She laughed and he laughed along with her. Now in their nineties, they'd been a couple for well over seventy years. Yes they'd had their fights but ultimately, they'd pulled through and remained together.

What she loved the most about him is that he still had that cheeky glint in his eyes that he'd had since she'd known him at sixteen.

"I must say, I'm quite tired," she confessed. It was only 8:30 in the evening but her body was getting older and greyer with every day that passed.

"I must say so am I," agreed George. He rubbed his eyes and patted down his silvery white hair which had gone static from the couch. He reached for his walking stick next to him and heaved himself up then went over to help his wife up.

"Thank you, my love," she said gratefully.

"Anything for you m'dear," he smiled, that familiar glint showing in his eyes.

He brushed a strand of her long, white hair off her face and guided her to their bedroom. Just before they'd gotten into bed, George stumbled a bit but caught himself on the bed.

"Are you alright, dear?" she asked.

"When my legs don't work like they used to before," he sang.

She laughed and helped him into bed.

"See you in the morning George," she said.

"Goodnight beautiful," he said, pulling the sheets up.

They went to sleep that night, her head on his chest and their fingers intertwined beneath the sheets.

However, as the morning came, neither of them had woken up. And neither of them would wake up again. They'd been together, right until it was time and then they'd left together, just the way it was meant to be...

~the end~

Hey everyone! If you're here it means that you've read the whole story! Thank you for sticking around, voting and commenting, it means a lot to me! I hope you enjoyed this story. I know I haven't been the best with updating, so very sorry about that buuut it's all over now and I hope it was worth it.

Thank you,

dee xo