Chapter 5 - The Gala

Start from the beginning

"You look beautiful today... every day."

I whimper, "Mr McCarlock, if that is all, I have work to attend too," I rise from my seat, cursing my slip.

"That's not all. Will your husband be attending the gala with you?" My mouth falls open and I cringe before looking to the side. "You have attended quite a few work functions and you are always solo?"

"No sir, he will not," I say through gritted teeth.

"Why? You never mention him, there's no photo on your desk of him and from our brief interactions, it seems like you are always alone?" Tears gather in the corner of my eyes, he had observed so much in the last four months, more than my own husband and quite frankly - I was tired of pretending.

"He doesn't even know I work here." I can hear the gasp escape his lips.

"Does he, work away? Perhaps we can change the date so he can attend?" Logan offers.

"Logan, you can have it any time you like, most nights he strolls in near midnight, if he comes home at all," anger flairs within my response. I flop down on the chair feeling defeated, vulnerable and lonely, letting out a huff and palming my forehead. "Sorry, no I will be attending alone."

"No, will you accompany me?" Logan asks.

"Sir, this is a marvellous achievement both personally and professionally, I feel a beautiful model may be better suited as your date than an awkward frumpy P.A." Wow, today I could not keep my mouth shut!

"I will be walking in with the most beautiful, intelligent, witty and kindest woman, I've ever seen or met," he states.

"Then why would you bother asking me if you already have a date?" I was irritated by his blatant disrespect of this unknown woman.

"I-I meant you, Arabella." My widened eyes meet his fiery gaze.

"M-me?" I mumbled.

"I shall pick you up and accompany you to the Gala," he moves back around and takes his position back in his seat.

"O-okay," I manage before walking out on wobbly legs.

...Logan...

"I shall pick you up and accompany you to the Gala."

"O-okay."

I had spent a week trying to convince myself to leave her alone, she was married but from what it looked like, married to a man that did not deserve her. She was smart, unknowingly charismatic, her laughter was rare but infectious. She had become my obsession and the multitude of men that flocked around her desk every day had angered me - none of them should have been on this level anyway.

I was certain she did not see what I saw and was convinced that she did not even notice the subtle hints, the hungry men threw in her direction. I watched as their sinful eyes followed her around the different office levels, oblivious to the fact that a large portion of them had to continuously relieve themselves in the lavatories after she walked past or smiled in their direction.

I could not hold back anymore, Pierre was bidding for her attention too but from his history, he would destroy her without a second thought. I needed more than just the light skin touches, I needed to feel her, touch her, lips on lips and on something else... Jesus, that thought alone made me harder than a steel tent pole. I would not hold back... The Gala would be my chance to move things along.

____________

...Arabella...

Upon arriving home to the empty house that played host to my loveless non-existent marriage, I was left with an unfamiliar sight in the bedroom - evidence of the fact, someone had been here and left.