Holiday Heist (Bucky x reader)

Characters: reader, Bucky (James), Coulson, Steve, others mentioned.

Summary: When the art gallery you manage is robbed on Christmas Eve, you suspect the handsome stranger who flirted with you earlier in the day, but instead of involving the authorities, you take matters into your own hands with surprising consequences.

Warnings: none! Just fluff and stuff. :)

Word count: 4k

_____________

"A little to the left," you instructed, prompting your helper to move the framed artwork closer to center. "Perfect! Thank you."

You offered a smile and stepped back, turning a slow circle to survey the whole gallery. Every piece of art and jewels were finally in place, just in time. The doors opened in less than half an hour and since this exhibit was a limited engagement, you expected it to be a very busy day.

"Alright, everyone," you spoke loudly with a clap of your hands, "last checks and get into position. It's go time."

Letting out an excited, but nervous, smile, you smoothed your dress with steady hands and took advantage of the nearby reflective glass display case to check your makeup one last time.

It was your idea as docent and art director of the prestigious Gallerie Bijou in New York City to celebrate the holidays with an all-encompassing showing of religious art from around the world. There were, of course, paintings, jewelry, and sculptures dedicated to Christmas, but also Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and Pagan traditions honoring the Winter Solstice. It was a challenge to tie it all together, but in the end you pulled it off. The showing was open for one day only, Christmas Eve, so it all had to go smoothly.

The true centerpiece of the gallery was in the transparent case before you with bulletproof glass and heavy security measures. Known as the Star of Bethlehem, the 900 carat, uncut diamond was already worth millions from size only, but it had also naturally formed in the shape of the Christmas star with one downward point longer than the others. That was of importance because in many artistic renderings of the star that appeared on Christmas night, it was portrayed as to have a longer tail. You'd had to fight vigorously to have the owner lend it out for the day and now that it was here, you knew it was all worth it.

Another glance at the clock and you walked over to one of the many men dressed in dark suits and sporting ear pieces.

"Everything under control, Mr. Coulson?" you asked the middle-aged balding man who gave off an air of mystery and yet also trustworthiness somehow.

"Of course, Ms. (Y/L/N). I have my best men on the floor and they will never take their eyes off these priceless works of art. Rest assured," he said confidently.

"Excellent."

You had your own security at the gallery, but with such precious items on loan, a highly-recommended private firm was hired for the day.

"Five minutes, people," you announced while walking the length of the gallery floor. Pointing out a smudge on one of the painting's name plates, the problem was rectified and you strode swiftly to the door. "Show time," you uttered with a turn of the lock.

_____________

The exhibit was an absolute success, resulting in high attendance and many local artists' work was sold along with others who were given much deserved exposure. Everyone ooh'd and ahh'd over the Star of Bethlehem, giving you a sense of pride for bringing it in. Your attention was split between the floor interacting with visitors as well as assisting with purchases in the office.