Chapter 4 - Connection

Start from the beginning

"Please? You would be doing me a favour, I fear people will start asking questions if I continue to eat alone every night," her gaze falls to the desk.

"Sir, I'm not sure what you heard..." I cut in before she can speak.

"You once said your life consists of being invisible, microwave dinners and books, perhaps it can also consist of a pleasant evening, at a fancy restaurant, to save a man from dining alone again?"

She seemed to ponder my offer with sadness.

"Sure Logan, I'd love to, thank you." My heart bounced happily at her accepting and my pulse began to race.

"Fantastic, we shall leave from here at six and take my car." I walked away before she can refuse.

This is it, my moment to be able to show her, I am far more than just a player. I have never been so nervous before, I must organise Blake, my driver and the best restaurant, tonight she will understand what it's like to be enjoyed.

________

"What made you work for Roger?" I ask the question I've actually wondered for four months now.

She sips her wine glass, leaving behind a scarlet covered lip print. "It was never my intention to stay so long but, I guess I got stuck there." She averted the question like a professional.

"That is not what I asked Arabella," she places her palm on her forehead, an action she frequently does when she thinks.

"I know what you asked Logan," she replies with a furrowed brow.

"Okay, so, do you enjoy working for our company?" I try a different tactic.

"Very much so, Hilda and I grab lunch together when we can and you always have me doing something different, I feel like I'm useful for once." Her hazel eyes sparkle under the restaurant's dim lighting.

"You're friends with Hilda West, the front receptionist?" I find the pairing odd.

"Yes, she is wonderful and so super bubbly and kind. We are currently swapping recipes to find the best cake." She laughs, her innocents and vulnerability evident on her soft face.

"Well, I think I should be judging these cake recipes, don't you think?" I smile and wink.

"You'd ruin yourself for our cake competition?" She smirks in amusement.

"Gladly."

"Wow, you're going to wish you didn't say that, by the way, I will completely destroy you if you like her cake better."

"I'm sure you have many hidden talents." She blushes and nervously rubs her chin on her shoulder.

"Logan? Why do those women call every day? Some continuously." Our eyes locked as if determined to find lies hidden between my answer.

"As I've explained before, I once was a very free loving man, no thought to my actions, with the finances and the name, comes a bunch of social hungry pariahs, most of whom are disguised as personal friends to my parents. When you discover the reasoning for your popularity, it tends to awaken your eyes, leaving a result of unhindered consequences. I'm very sorry you were brought into the middle of this craziness, I can most certainly assure you those days are over."

Her eyes find the table as she begins to fidget once more.

"Do you think you are up to a new challenge?" I ask, wanting quickly to steer away from my past.

"Other than beating Hilda in the cake competition?" We laugh together.

"Yes, other than that. I should very much like you to organise this year's annual office gala, to celebrate five successful years as a standalone firm."