Chapter 29: Price of the Nonaligned

Start from the beginning

"I thought we might speak in my study, if that is okay with you," said Mr. Parkinson.

"That would be great, thank you," Harry replied.

"Follow me then," he instructed, leading them to their right, across the large silent hall.

"Draco?" a pleasant voice called cheerfully from behind them. The party of men stopped immediately and turned toward the large staircase. There, halfway down, stood the young woman that had so frequently been on all three of the men's minds. Her eyes were bright and happy at the sight of Draco; her smile warm and cheerful. "It is you. Why did you not tell me that you were coming-?" She stopped suddenly and her smile vanished in an instant. Her brows scrunched in confusion and anxiety. "Potter?" she asked only loud enough for them to hear.

"Pansy, these gentlemen are here for business," Mr. Parkinson stated.

"What business?" she asked, taking a couple slow steps down the staircase.

"None that concerns you, I'm sure. Now don't you think you should be in bed?" He said sternly.

"Dad, it's only just after seven. Not to mention, I'm quite old enough to stay up until whenever-"

"Well, you have had quite a full day with your brother's game and such, I'm sure that you're quite interested in some time to yourself," he interrupted in challenging tone. Pansy crossed her arms across her chest. She appeared indignant at the way her father treated her, but she made no move in either direction.

Not acknowledging his daughter any further, Mr. Parkinson turned from her and continued toward his study. Harry and Draco followed after him, but it took great effort for both of them to peel their eyes from Pansy. Harry had never taken an interest in her, even a little. He disliked her from the start because of her friendship with Draco, his greatest rival at school, but then also for the insults that she herself made against his friends. After school and the war were over, he had to admit that he hadn't thought on her at all until the start of the investigation. But he found himself, despite the fact that he didn't really know her, quite worried about her. Pansy, like everyone else in the world, had a life filled with happiness, sadness, trials, and hopes. Whatever her story, she did not deserve to be hurt. He could only imagine how much harder it was on Draco.

"Please, have a seat," Mr. Parkinson offered as he gestured to two leather chairs across from a large oak desk in his study. Harry and Draco sat themselves as Mr. Parkinson made his way around the desk. "May I get you gentlemen something to drink? Tea? Brandy?"

"Thank you, sir," said Harry, "whatever you prefer."

Mr. Parkinson nodded and moved to the corner of the room where a small bar cabinet stood in the corner. The room was silent as he removed the brandy and poured the liquid into three glasses. It was as he placed the stopper back in the bottle that he finally spoke again. Harry had to force himself to focus on the man's words as he carefully watched each move Mr. Parkinson made. Constant vigilance.

"I have to say, Mr. Potter, that I was quite surprised to receive your owl yesterday. I admit that I am quite unnerved by your presence, as you had not hinted as to why you wished to see me," Mr. Parkinson said stiffly as he handed a glass of brandy to both Draco and Harry. "I do not mean to offend you by that statement, but you must understand that your name and occupation are connected with many uncomfortable topics. I am even more confused by Mr. Malfoy's presence here."

"I appreciate your honesty and openness regarding your concern, so I'd like to be forward with you, Mr. Parkinson. Mal- Mr. Malfoy and I are working together on an investigation and we believe that you can help us," said Harry.